Cast iron griddle

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Pick, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Pick

Pick Novice

I want to get a cast iron griddle for the gas stove on my CI probabley a Lodge. Didn't want to bother Cary about such a small detail so I figured I'd throw it out here on the forum. The reversible one from Lodge is 20"X10 7/16" Is that a good fit on the burners? Any likes or dislikes for a griddle?
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I have the 16 3/4 x 9 1/2 reversible Lodge Logic grill/griddle for the house. I just took that one out and put it on the stove. It fit perfectly across both burners (from what I could see...I was working around a few things). The 20 might be a little long, but would probably work.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LDP3-Double-Reversible-Griddle/dp/B002CMLTXG

I carry the small Lodge Logic reversible grill/griddle in the trailer to save space/weight (10.5 x 10.5 inches). It fits perfectly on one burner and I can use the other burner for cooking something else.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Single...1-0257361?ie=UTF8&refRID=15YPM8WR5SCMSV5QK1FB

I love both and they both get used a lot (the one at the house it used at least twice a week most of the year). I don't have anything negative to say about either one. They have been fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

I have used the same double Grill/Griddle for several years now. Nothing but positives.

Between the grill/griddle and a small Dutch Oven
    for gas; there are very few foods you can't cook.

4. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

I have both sizes of the Lodge reversible grill. The small one sits fine on top. The larger one actually fits over the burners and doesn't slide in any direction, so I think I can leave it on for travel.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I wouldn't leave it on while traveling....that much weight get loose and it could really bet the crap out of the wood or side of my cooler...

My wife found an old pair of jeans, cut off and sewed a leg closed on one end and left an envelope style snap closure on the other. The denim is thick enough to protect the seasoned surfaces as well as the inside of the trailer. This all then gets stowed in the left side of the galley storage for travel.

Btw, find the articles on this forum about seasoning with beeswax! When giving our tours it isn't uncommon to hear some pretty uninformed opinions about cast iron...my wife loves throwing an egg on and literally chasing to egg with the spatula showing off just how non-stick the cast iron can be!

6. Pick

Pick Novice

Thanks Mick'nSarah Got one on the way from Amazon.
    MDP

7. Mick'nSarah

Congrats! I agree with Sweeney. I keep mine in a storage bin too. Just keeps things nice longer, and the stuff in the galley can get tossed around a little bit during towing (picture hitting a bump or pothole on a highway/freeway).

8. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Though I don't take it camping, I have one at home, and love it. I will post a link to a web site here as well as the cooking thread, that is a whole lot less expensive than shopping at the Lodge, or Amazon sites.

Katom Restaurant Supply

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Wow! I was worried that would all be made in china junk! But it's not, they are selling Lodge!

The minute my cast iron isn't made in America is the day I don't buy any more...

It's not the people I distrust, it's the government evil "business" men who will put industrial waste in dog food to make more profit, Or dogs fur on winter coats using cruel harvesting practices that I refuse to do business with as much as possible.

10. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I was looking for a cast iron griddle and noticed they all have an orange peal looking finish inside and outside. It is as if they skip the last finishing steps that used to be done to the inside. I eventually ordered a Lodge that was on sale on line. I expected that it would be finished since it is made in America. Not so. It is all bumpy on the inside. I haven't used it yet. It is the 12 inch with the long handle on one side and loop on the other. It is so heavy I can't really lift it with the long handle anyway so was considering cutting the handle. Has anyone done this? Otherwise I should get rid of it and get one with two loop handles. Does anyone know of a 12 inch with two loop handles?

11. Mick'nSarah

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016