Can't wait til January!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by PaigeJason, Aug 12, 2013.

1. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

We love to tent camp with our kids. I love how camping encourages us to unplug and distills our life into what is essential. We first came across teardrops last year after viewing that iconic sun-dappled teardrop photo from Sunset magazine. Our family of six (seven when my mom travels with us) fills up our Honda Odyssey, and even with a topper, we are short on cargo space. We decided we needed more space for gear, as well as a comfortable space for my mom to sleep when we all go together. We looked at pop-ups and teardrops and quickly decided the teardrop was the way to go. The kitchen configuration is what got me. I loved the storage and countertop space (and that it wasn’t inside). After looking at different manufacturers and being impressed by Camp Inn’s reputation, I was delighted to learn they were located a short 4-hour drive from our home in Illinois.

We toured the factory in mid-July and put down our deposit on a 550 Special. Seeing the teardrops in person was truly impressive. The attention to detail comes through in person in a way the photos cannot convey. I am pretty claustrophobic and needed to see for myself how I would feel in the 550—no problem at all! Cary was so generous with his time and answered all our questions. I love that we were able to order exactly the features we wanted. Since then I’ve spent many hours reading forum posts and taking gear and care notes. I haven’t been this excited since I was a kid! I’m so grateful this resource exists for those of us who are new to this world.

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Isn't it fun! While you wait, there are several gatherings for the rest of the summer in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan... check on tearjerkers or T&TTT (links above, on the left) if any of the upcoming gatherings work for you. You can get ideas and tips from people who camp in teardrops. Lookie-loos, wannabees, gonnabees (that's you) are always welcome.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Welcome to the forum! You're not too far from us - we're on Chicago's south side. Any chance on you attending the Camp Inn Camp Outt the last weekend of September? It's up near Necedah in a great county campground. There will be a lot of new and seasoned campers just waiting to answer questions and show you their setups...

4. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

What Ken said! (Except for the Chicago bit) :)

There is also Tears By the River, September 6-8 at Thomson Causeway in Thomson, IL...always a nice weekend and a great group of people!

:cool:

5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

The_Leighs Welcome and enjoy what we have been enjoying for years.

6. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

7. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Yeah! More families with kids tear dropping! We have definitely loved it for nearly 3 years. My nearly 6 year old loves his bunk and time camping. It really is the best thing our family has going on right now. Welcome to the forum and congrats!

8. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

will love it and enjoy it

9. 1Door

1Door Novice

Your mother will sleep comfortably and love her "2nd bedroom"!!

10. we know the feeling. Ordered our 550 classic with extra options in June 2012 & rec'd it in Nov same year. Those months couldn't pass fast enough. Well worth the wait. Our teardrop (Tina) is out of the garage at least monthly and more. Here in California, we can pretty much camp year-round. If there's snow on the pass- head for the coast. in the meantime while you're waiting, you'll be making lists of things you think you need and calling Camp-Inn.
    Couldn't be happier with what resulted. (Do regret not having the solar hook-up installed but we're going ahead with Zamp solar panels anyhow.)
    It's a great product and we're pleased with the end result that the folks at Camp-Inn have produced.
    Julie/Duane
    Fresno CA

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Welcome to the forum Julie & Duane! We'd love to hear how your CampInn experience has been so far. Where have you guys camped?

12. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Already the questions start, and it's not even ready yet!

I took our new van in to the dealership for the tow package install yesterday. I had a question for the service guy and when he wasn't familiar with teardrops, I pulled out my phone to show him a picture. He took one look and said,

"Do you sleep in it?"

I had to smile.

13. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Belated congratulations. The wait will be over sooner than you think. Welcome to the forum.

14. Hello to all our fellow travelers from Fresno CA (that's in the center of the state about 2 hours from Yosemite). We are doing well and having a great time pulling our CI teardrop with a 2002 Eurovan. It's a Westfalia weekender with a few features that compliment our trailer. It has an extra bed for guests who might drop by "unexpectedly" while we're roughing it, but the really nice part is the folding dining table inside the van (for inclement weather). Seats 2 comfortably- no reservation needed. The van has a 205 hp V6 that does very well pulling "Tina" uphill or down. Actually get better gas mileage pulling our trailer. (Cary thinks our teardrop makes us more aerodynamic? go figure.) We are also glad we added electric brakes to the trailer. Makes towing a lot easier. Thus far, we've traveled to Death Valley, the CA coast (Morro Bay, Mt Madonna outside Gilroy CA) Yosemite, the high Sierra Nevada mtns. and the list continues. It's really hard to not go out with Tina.
    We have a Subaru Forester also that we think might be able to tow our TD. Seems that a number of you out have done the same. It has the 4 cyl. 170 hp motor. Well enough for now- getting ready to travel up to Sonora Pass in the Sierras this next week. (In further "episodes" hope to discuss solar panels and door screens, etc.)
    Having fun on the road- hope to run into you (figuratively)