canoe vs kayak

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by GinaNBob, Aug 18, 2014.

1. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

I am asking all you kayakers and canoers for your opinion on entry level boat for myself and husband. We are avid bass fishermen and usually pull a boat behind our TV. Now that we are getting the CI, we still want to have a boat without taking two vehicles. We were thinking sit on top kayaks but were at REI yesterday and saw a two person canoe, the Mad River Adventure 14 and 16. We are leaning a little toward the 16 because we can mount trolling motor on back but I am getting worried about the wt. 14 is 75#, 16 is 89# without anything in it. would like to stay less than $1000 if possible.
    What would you suggest?
    Thanks
    Gina

2. slumry

slumry Novice

I don't know much about these but they might be of interest to you NuCanoe. Kind of a cross between a canoe and a kayak. Of course there are the Hobie Cat fans on this site who would recommend a Hobie Cat, but they might be higher than your budget.

3. Cmckinnon

Cmckinnon Newbie

I have a Native Watercraft Ultamate14.5 fishing kayak. The boat weights 75 # and fits easily on the roof of our Outback. The boat is designed to be stable enough for stand up fishing and runs about $1000. Can be paddled solo or tandem. Good luck with your search. www.nativewatercraft.com

4. Lee49

Lee49 Novice

I have the Hobie Outback
    mariage drive love it
    just paddle with your feet
    Lets go fishing

5. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

I had both, but I like canoe way more than kayak, check Craigslist Craigslist you can get some nice canoe or kayak for a really good price. Good luck let us know what you got

6. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Thanks for the info. My husband already liked the hobie cat. Not sure what we are going to do but will let you all know when we decide. Thanks for the tip about Craig's list. Will check it out.

7. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We love to paddle, and own two canoes, a kayak, and two standup paddleboards. Our Pelican tandem kayak was our starter boat. Found it at BJ's for a good price, but it's a real tank, slow and heavy! We use it when we don't fear scratching the bottom, the weather is warm, and we don't mind getting wet, because with a kayak, you WILL get wet, After our first outing with friends in their nicer canoes, that's when we decided to upgrade. We found our used Wenonah Jensen Kevlar 18' canoe on Craig's list. It is used primarily for waters where there is no fear of hitting rocks or stumps. It only weighs 32 lbs, and is very fast and easy to paddle, thus being our favorite. Our Old Town Camper 15' Royalex, also found on Craig's List, weighs in at 65 lbs, is also a joy to paddle, sturdy, stable, and able to handle the rocks and stumps we may encounter on rivers and ponds,
    All that to say, we use them all, and wouldn't trade any of them! Bottom line is, you will stay more dry in a canoe, it is roomier, most likely more comfortable, and much more relaxing to paddle than a kayak. Don't forget to consider paddles as well, lighter is better! I hope this helps!

8. Pick

Pick Novice

Good info. Haven't thought too much about a boat but my son just got a kayak and I'm curious. From your insight I think we would be better off with the canoe and probably stick to lakes. Any recomendation on light weight canoes?

9. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We are avid Kayakers and presently own 6 of them which range from 12 to 18 ft in length. The plastic boats are less expensive to purchase and hold up better when stumbling on an oyster bed or hidden rocks. Their downfall is their heavier weight and they tend to be slower in the water than composite or fiberglass layup boats. I guess that is why we have six of them because we do everything from kayak camping on the Intercoastal Waterway to fresh water springs with a few rapids. Paddling.net is a great resource for researching customer reviews for canoes and kayaks. Paddling gives you an opportunity to see things which few ever get to see.

10. Biggie

Biggie Novice

Craigslist is worth a try. We bought our Bell Canoe off of craigslist 2 years ago and love it. It was in excellent condition, 55 lb Royalex angler, which originally retailed for $1500 - we bought it for $600. It paddles like a dream! I just bought 2 new handcrafted wood canoe paddles for our anniversary. Previously we paddled with the metal ones that came with our canoe. The new ones were made by Sanborn Canoe Co (they happen to be located about 1 mile from our house). The craftsmanship is superb, paddles are very lightweight, paddling with them is so easy, and when not in use they look beautiful hanging on our wall!

11. Snudley

Snudley Novice

I've had this puppy for almost 20 years, and it's still bombproof:
    https://hyside.com/store/product.php?productid=122&cat=31&bestseller=Y

Just roll it up and stash it where you please. Inflates easily with a foot pump or DC air compressor.

It's plenty stable for fishing, and tracks quite well for an inflatable. Like all boats, it has it's pluses and minuses, but for an all around portable it's hard to beat.

You can probably find a good deal on a used one from kayak and toob rental companies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  12. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Food for thought. Take a look at www.orukayak.com. I have been researching kayaks and came across this folding kayak that weighs only 26 pounds and folds to the size of a mid sized suitcase. Just an option for you. I was looking for something light wieght and easily transported. Is pricey at $1200, keeping in mind just another option..R