Camper That Sat For 15 Years - What To Check?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by KarenBee, Jun 11, 2022.

1. KarenBee

KarenBee Novice

We are going to be buying a 560 that has sat in a garage for 15 years unused. I asked the seller to get new tires and they got a new battery.

What about other things that should be attended to?

I want to keep this camper for a long long time and want to make sure it is good to go on the way home from our sellers place a few states away.
    Thanks oh wise forum participants!

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I would pay special attention to the water system. At a minimum, add some Clorox to both tanks and fill with fresh water, then drain, refill, and drain again. At the same time keep an eye to the plumbing under the left galley compartment and under the trailer to check for leaks.

The other thing I would be very careful of is the propane system. Check the date code on the tank to see if it needs to be pressure tested. Examine the hoses from the tank all the way back to the stove and heater (if installed); rubber hoses can deteriorate with time and ozone exposure.

The mattress could need attention, foam rubber doesn't last forever, it dries out and gets hard. It is possible that the addition of a topper could extend its life, though it may need replacement.

Finally, check the rubber gaskets around the doors, front windows, and hatch for hardening, shrinking, and cracks. Leaks are annoying.

Good luck and welcome to the group.

Kevin likes this.
  3. SethB

SethB Ranger

And, get wheel bearing service when you get tires.

Kevin and Jerry Kemp like this.
  4. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

definitely agree with the battery, tires and wheel bearings comments.

Had not considered the water components, but now that it has, if you have a list of how the trailer is optioned out, if you can share that information, that will certainly help other forum members make better and more informed post in response to your question.

And congratulations on your soon-to-be new to you 560 !

Kevin likes this.
  5. KarenBee

KarenBee Novice

It is an Ultra with AC. It has a cooler but no fridge. And a stove. Owner flushed water and replaced filter in there.

Kevin likes this.
  6. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I see your profile says you are in Wisconsin. That’s great! If I were you, call up CampInn and see if you can bring it in for a wellness check once you have it. To me, that would give me the best peace of mind that all is well.

Jerry Kemp, JohnC and Kevin like this.
  7. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

First thing to check is the license tabs.

KarenBee likes this.
  8. KarenBee

KarenBee Novice

Already went to the nest this spring. Buying used because we just couldn’t wait.

Attached Files:

Warren Mary Ellen and Cary Winch like this.