Camper Exchange... like house exchange

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by bcannizzo, May 21, 2010.

1. bcannizzo

bcannizzo Novice

karin and I would like to make a trip thru New England and living in Colorado Springs,Colorado, all the wonderful things to see in between has slowed us down. To eliminate all of the wonderful things in between, we were wondering if anyone close to New England would want to consider loaning their camper to us for a couple of weeks in 2011 in exchange for borrowing ours? Within a couple of days travel you could reach the Grand Canyon to the south or Yellowstone to the north from here. Also if anyone has tried this type of arrangement and has comments or suggestions, we would love to hear from you.

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Wow. That is an incredible idea! Being tucked away in the top corner of U.S. is beautiful, but it does make trips to the East Coast a bit out of range. GREAT idea! bcannizzo, we aren't the match you are looking for, but I think this concept is worth pursuing. My dad was born in Maine so we'd love to got out there sometime - perhaps some of the Maine folk want to visit the West Coast?

3. Evan

Still thinking about this...

Of course, you'd have to switch two vehicles too. (Just make sure insurance was covered both ways first). And, leave the tow vehicle at the airport...

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We are going to be in Yosemite next week, and I actually thought about this for that trip. But, as Evan mentioned, the tow vehicle loomed as the big obstacle to this kind of exchange. At least in my mind, as I use my car every day. But I'm sure it could be made to work somehow. A neat idea.

5. Evan

Well, you may just have to do a double-exchange. Both parties leave their tow vehicles at the airport.

Or, even if both couldn't happen simultaneously - I could figure out how to do without my TV for a week if it meant it work work out the same for me later on...

6. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

The party borrowing pays for and rents a car for the lenders and gets a towing car and accomadation for the price of a hire car. This then gets returned at the other end of the deal.

7. Evan

Hey Barry & Annie - once you get your trailer should we hook up? You guys want to visit the NW?

8. Very nice idea, any Alaska owners out there?

9. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Sounds like a plan for the future I wish there were more teardrops out East. Alan at Popular Hill told me that there is a camp inn currently being built for a couple in Nova Scotia and I asked him to pass along my details so we could get in contact so before you know it we could be growing out here.