Camp-Inn vs Little Guy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcjimjam, May 7, 2012.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks for the link.

This is the last line of the article: "Only you can make that decision, but for me, I think I’ll stick with my tent."

Had I read this line before I read the article, I would not have bothered with the article. If you don't own such a product and would not buy such a product, then you shouldn't be writing a article comparing such products, IMNSHO.

-Al

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Wow! It's nice to see people fired up about their campers! Thanks!

Now for a few thoughts...

Silver Shadows are a nice teardrops. We know several people who have them. Different people like, and are willing/able to spend different amounts, depending on what is important to them. That's why there is such a variety of teardrops on the market.

As difficult as it maybe to believe, not everyone wants or likes Camp-Inn teardrops, and that's okay. However, every type of teardrop Make & model on the road & in the campgrounds is a good thing, as it gets more people out having fun & makes even more people curious and they THEY start researching teardrops to find one that works for THEM. Many of our good teardrop friends don't have a CI. And it is amazing to see the variety of things they have done with their teardrops & the workmanship in many of those homebuilts.

Some thoughts on her comments:

Looks...yes, once again, different strokes for different folks. Some of our customers don't like (or don't need) the front storage box...that's why they have the option of not getting it. The original teardrops could often be seen with some type of homemade storage box on the tongue. In that sense, ours is just as retro as those. :)

She did miss the mark in some key areas:

1) The number of options we offer vs. Little Guy (which really isn't a true comparison of like teardrops for either model - kind of like comparing a KIA to a Rolls).

2) One of those options is a refrigerator...a REAL one that can actually be a freezer, as well!

3) Price has everything to do with materials used & custom nature of the product. Silver Shadows may be built by the Amish but they are using mostly RV materials/parts/construction methods. They really are not a fair comparison for the quality of materials, method of construction & specialized labor that makes up a CI. Remember, you get what you pay for - boxed, no bake cheesecake or homemade with highest quality ingredients?

4) Availability...well, no, she didn't do her homework very thoroughly & as a teacher, I would give her a D- here. It is unfortunate that she didn't, as she would have found the opportunity to visit with one of you passionate CI owners & see one first hand & hear of why you like it, including the customer service...sadly, her loss. :(

Now, all of that said, it is important to note that she did say some VERY complimentary things about the CI, and it did win in her choice for looks/styling & kitchen options/features. Also, she had several more pics of CI than of the Silver Shadow & the CI website link is included twice, so you can explore even further.

Lastly, it is interesting to note that the type of teardrop she has is a 1989 Teardrop American Outbacker that she restored...a polyethylene plastic camper that has always reminded me of a big car roof box for luggage. (Remember, different strokes for different folks...) They were made by a company in Washington state between 1989-1990, and then went out of business.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A final word...I see there is a place for comments on her blog...feel free to post away why you love your CI! (But be nice...) ;)

Disclaimer:
    I hope I in no way offended anyone who may own a KIA or likes no bake cheescakes...there is a place for all types & tastes in the world & in all fairness, products should be compared to like products!

:cool:

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I haven't read the article yet but I will. All I can say is that I just spent a weekend at the DAM gathering with the only Camp Inn trailer. Very busy showing it off with ton of ooo's and ah's. One woman there had a Silver Shadow but said she bought it before she saw a Camp Inn. Her goal is to eventually upgrade. The phrase 'cadlillac of teardrops' was a very common description. Many people told me that others had sent them to see the trailer.

Kudos to the folks at Camp Inn.

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I read the article to Mick while he tidied the kitchen after dinner. He says, a comparable comparison would be comparing a Camry to a 911 (Porsche). Both are great cars for different reasons, but you are looking at different markets.

Oops...should have read Betsey's note first (Kia v. Rolls)!

6. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Oh come on, Betsey. The author didn't deserve a D-...D, yes. You have to give some credit for the eight and a half minutes put in on research.

On second thought, go ahead and give the minus. If knucklehead had bothered to devote that extra half minute, maybe the article wouldn't have been so top heavy with errors and Jenn could have kept her blood pressure below the boiling point.

Just looking out for my best girlfriend, Jenn.

Sue

PS: We've seen the Little Boy. That's why we bought a Camp Inn!

7. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Just read the article. I don't think the writer did any hands on research, and I don't think they visited "the nests".
    Since we are coming out of nests, maybe the comparison should be Bald Eagle vs Starling. My vote goes to the Eagle.

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I don't like the Rolls emblem - that's why my Kia is obviously a better car.

[​IMG]

9. Oysterpot

Good reply Evan.

10. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Betsey, you are the consummate diplomat!
    George, read your comment on the blog - well said!

Kathy

11. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

George to the rescue!

I think my favorite line in the review was the one about not being able to reach into the cooler. I take it she is a midget?

Cary

12. Oysterpot

I have been looking at both, I have a couple friends with Little Guys, not sure what models, just think what CI could do if they went with the LG type manufacturing process and materials, and still keep their method of sales. No lets not go there. The part about the folks of CI that I like, is you leave either your visit at Necedah, or finish reading an email, or even get off the phone.... no matter what method of communication, I am left feeling like an individual that counts, and means something to them. You aren't left feeling to see if your wallet is still in your pocket. That is why I look at RV and cars on lots on Sunday. That feeling alone is worth the cost.

13. Jim and Sue L.

Liked your comments on that blog, George. We had to add our two bits, too.

And we agree with Cary: the author must be vertically challenged.

Hey! So am I and I have no problems with the cooler!

Sue and Jim (who is not vertically challenged)

14. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)

Step stools are my friend...but I draw the line at booster seats! :mad:

:cool:

15. Cary Winch

You know, I immediately did think of Betsey when I read that.

Cary

16. Jim and Sue L.

Don't let him get to you, Betsey.

I love step stools, too. A necessity in a world dominated by giants. But my line is not a booster seat, it's the blocks Jim keeps threatening to put on my shoes when I drive.

The stinker.

Sue

17. Cary Winch

I can see Jim doing that too!

Cary

18. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

"Camp-Inn, however, doesn’t deal with RV dealers. To buy one, you must pre-order it and wait 5-7 weeks while it is built."

Cary, I'm so sorry I misunderstood you! I thought you said 5-7 months. Mine must be ready by now. We'll be right up.
    Mike

19. Cary Winch

LOL! Ya, there was a pretty long list of errors in that review.

Cary