Camp-Inn Possible Prospective Buyer

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Meriflower, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Meriflower

Meriflower Newbie

Looking at several different teardrops. This is a question for Camp-Inn owners. Have you had any problems with your Camp-Inn? Would you recommend them to others? Also, I noticed they are more expensive than other builds, do they hold their value better? I see one for sale, asking price of 8k, NADA prices it close to 2k so quite a difference.

2. Deb

Deb Novice

Bob and I have never had a single issue with our Camp-Inn. We did our research and came to the conclusion that it is far and away the best tear drop made. All you need to do is take one out for a weekend and see for yourself. The others don't even come close. We paid nearly double what you're considering, but it's quality craftsmanship and wonderful customer support (before, during and after our purchase), and that's not always easy to find these days. I hope you'll take the plunge and get one.Feel free to ask me more questions.

3. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Goldie,
    You can't do better than a Campinn for a teardrop as far as I am concerned. We thought it was pretty pricey, but we also thought it was a good investment because it would hold its value much better than any others. The service is second to none. 8k for a Campinn is a bargain. The people that sell them are amazing as are the people that own them.
    Charlie

4. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Goldie,
    Call Cary at Camp-inn. He can give you a good idea of what you are looking at. We looked a one used unit. We choose new. We liked the idea of one of these being born for us. 8K may be alot for some of the units. 8K can be a good deal for others. If it is what you want in features, you have a decision to make. I don't think you will be disappointed. Take pictures and talk to Cary. He will tell you what to look for. We have had no problems Cary and Craig did not fix in jiffy. Camp-inn has made some improvements. They could update you on that. I don't think there is a fatal flaw in the design. Any unit you buy should be a keeper.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Hi Goldie. We've had ours for just over a year now, bought used, and have nothing but great things to say about the trailer. Build quality is excellent, the design is unmatched, and the service provided by the people at CampInn can only be described as the best. We took our CampInn up to Necedah for some additions after we bought it, and the crew there checked to be sure that we had updated door seals, poles, etc. They take pride in what they do and it shows.
    Another indication of how confident they are in their products is the fact that they list their competitors sites right on the CampInn website. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? Only you can decide that one.
    Good luck!

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Hi, Goldie, and welcome to the forum. This is exactly why I started this forum. We were so happy with our new 560, and so impressed with Camp-Inn's service, that I wanted to make sure other people could get a chance to hear about them, and ask the questions they need to feel confident in their purchase.

I went back and forth between building and buying. In the end, I decided I would rather be camping right away, instead of building for a few years. Once I decided to buy, I looked for the best manufacturer. There are several others, but Camp-Inn is pretty much without question the top of the line. And their service is unbeatable.

We've had our 560 for about 6 months with only one small problem - the thermostat died during the middle of a very cold excursion. Craig found an RV center along our route that had the part, and offered to pay their bill for the replacement. (I changed it out no problem). This is their standard policy.

On another note, during our build I kept adding one custom feature after another: Sound system, iPod dock, backup camera, extra outlets, TV antenna, etc... I knew I was pushing the envelope beyond what a normal company would tolerate, but Camp-Inn never complained - rather, they seemed to relish the challenge.

Once I saw the level of quality and amount of detail that went into my build (expensive as it was), I was more surprised that they could afford to do all that for the price.

My advice: Call Cary, and get in touch with a local owner so you can actually see and touch one. If you get that far, you will most likely be hooked.

7. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

This is where I am in the process. I have seen 1 of the 550 Ultra's used (abused),
    but I could see that the initial quality was there. The one that I looked at was way over priced for its condition. I am going to see another this week end, and I am sure that it is a good representation of what to expect from a Camp- Inn. Also I get to meet a couple of the people that frequent this site. I am really looking forward to it. So to reitterate what Evan and a couple others have mentioned, contact Cary and Craig and let them line you up to visit one of their units. I think you will like the results.

George

8. Meriflower

Meriflower Newbie

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's good to hear that Camp-Inns are very well liked and most importantly that Cary and Craig stand behind their work. I will call them to set up a visit with one of their units. Yep I will no doubt be hooked!

I am interested in the Camp-Inn 550 Special model with couple of options/additions. What draws me to teardrops is being able to enjoy camping in the outdoors while having a cozy & comfy place to sleep at night. This is a great forum to learn about Camp-Inns and teardrops. :)

9. Evan

One thing to consider:

Many people go with the 560 because of the bunk for 2 small children. However, I recommend taking a second look at it because of the couch. While camping with a tent requires good weather, once you have a tear you can be out in any kind of weather - we spent 3 weeks in ours last winter. In my opinion, having the couch makes it much easier to spend a few days away from home - even when the weather is bad - reading and relaxing without paying for a hotel or resort. My wife was happy because even when money is tight, we can still afford to get away for a weekend in our second home.

10. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Goldie,
    We ordered a 550 classic SUV. We added the Ultra Xenon lighting. The only thing we did not get on the Ultra was the door handles and the running lights. I thought I could do with out some of what we got, water, propane stove, TV and AC. Once we saw how they were so cleverly installed we decided to just go for it. No regrets. We have installed some of the extras we decided to hold off on at purchase, bumper, screen doors and others. Cary has been real easy to work with. I tell people our camper represents we are over 50 and the kids are grown. Good luck.

11. Meriflower

Meriflower Newbie

The raindrops are nice and we will definitely take a look at them. We are not new to camping or RVs. We have two kids, teenagers, and both of them hate camping. :( So it will just be my hubby and I. Looking for something easy to tow, to setup, and to store. Plus something that doesn't need a truck or full sized SUV.

12. Evan

550 or 560 fits the bill on all counts.

13. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Friday late afternoon I had the pleaseure of touring the Camp Inn showroom and factory floor. First construction technique that totally surprised me was the TD's do not have a traditional frame. Instead the interior and exterior walls act as the frame. (Sure Cary, the engineer will have technical term). With my previous tent, pop up, trailer, and 5th wheel experience, the quality of the CI is top notch. Life expectancy with good care and maintenance will be long term, easily over 20 years and beyond. Most campers will last 10 years with good care and maintenance, espically if stored inside. Less if stored outside. While geocaching today, drove thru the camprgounds. Toured a mid 1970's airstream that has been completely redone. Near LaCrosse saw a Canadian couple with a standie teardrop, odd looking thing and can't remember the maker. Then hit pay day at White Water State Park in Minnesota. WOW, first major find was a 550 CI. Unbelievable. The owners are from St. Paul. THe gals were very gracious during the show and tell. The next corner contained a Scamp type trailer, next corner was an acutal scamp, and kitty corner was an A-Liner. Only missing camper was a T@B. Construction grades are no where near the quality of the CI. So with all the tours lately, CI quality is top.

Jean

14. Meriflower

Meriflower Newbie

Hi Jean - I live in Minnesota and keep watching to see one in our state parks. You sure did hit payday on your trip to Whitewater - a teardrop, a fiberglass or "egg" trailer, and an A-frame. All rare to see among common offerings of MH/TT/5ers/popups. I bet the standie teardrop you saw was an rPod made by Forest River.

We made another step closer to getting a teardrop, put our current Hi-Lo up for sale. We are downsizing, kids do not want to camp anymore, and just want something simple that can be towed with almost anything. A teardrop seems to fit the bill.

15. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I'll bet it was Deb & Jackie. :)
    :cool:

16. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Deb & Jackie, yes that is the correct names.

Near LaCrosse saw a Canadian couple with a standie teardrop, odd looking thing and can't remember the maker-was not an R-POD, it was a Aliner TRE Amelia small travel trailer