Cabin Net Storage

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Dean Pinter, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Dean Pinter

Dean Pinter Novice

Just got done installing some extra storage to the footwell area in the cabin of our 560 classic and thought I'd share. I picked up some small cargo nets from Cabelas and installed them under the shelves.

Rig Rite BOATGO Storage Net : Cabela's

I got the small console net and installed one on each side above our feet for miscellaneous storage. I like it for putting pants or socks or whatnot for quick retrieval in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning. I've found that if i just toss the stuff at my feet at bedtime, they end up getting lost from sleeping and the dog moving around.

net:empty.JPG

net:full.JPG

Net:under.JPG

I mounted the hooks 23 3/4" apart from side to side and 10 1/2" front to back.
    The lights underneath are a a Sylvania Dot led light:

Sylvania 36051 Silver Linear Dot It Portable LED Light, Silver - Tap Lights - Amazon.com

and a Goal Zero Luna light:

Amazon.com: Goal Zero Luna LED Light: Automotive

This should be the most useful addition since I mounted the bottle opener in the galley!

2. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Very cooool

3. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Like the nets!

4. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks for,sharing the ideas and links! Looks like another project for my list.

5. Busy B

Busy B Newbie

Dean - thanks for posting this. I added a couple of the nets you referenced and I really like the extra storage.
    Given the A/C drain pipe, I had to offset one side, but there is still plenty of room for both nets.
    While you didn't mention it in your post, your photo's show a really good adjustment - that is to flip the loop under the net which shortens the width and allows it to perfectly.

6. Tear Stream

Tear Stream Newbie

Oh so nice! I added these nets last year and they are a WONDERFUL addition for those items you want quick access to. Thanks for the tip! I highly recommend taking to time to make this modification.

RollingRob likes this.
  7. Cindy & Dean

Cindy & Dean Novice

We added these nets recently and just completed our first trip with them - we love them. Ours were installed with the same dimensions listed by Dean Pinter, but centered in the trailer to leave room for the cord access ports the newer campers have.

8. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

This is a great idea! We are always losing stuff in the footwell at night. Unfortunately, Cabelas is sold out right now. I’m going to keep looking.

RollingRob likes this.
  9. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

I found something on Amazon. Did you use the screws that came with it? I don’t want to go up into the compartment above but we don’t want it pulling out either.

RollingRob likes this.
  10. Dean Pinter

Dean Pinter Novice

I probably did use the screws that came with it if they were short enough to not come out the top. Just drill pilot holes just big enough to accept the screws without the wood splitting. Rub beeswax on the threads when you install them and they shouldn't come out. We have had no problems and I've crammed a bunch of clothes in there.

LisaNKevin likes this.
  11. Cindy & Dean

Cindy & Dean Novice

We bought our nets from Amazon and we did use the screws that came with the nets. HOWEVER, I did cut the tip off of two of the screws to avoid poking through the plywood. We have the the drop-down desk option and the two center, forward screws would have come through the plywood - you need to be very careful drilling these pilot holes. The other 6 screws will actually extend a bit into the structural wood supports that you can see when you open your storage bins. Having just installed these, the details are still fresh in my mind - let me know if you have any further questions.

LisaNKevin and RollingRob like this.
  12. RollingRob

RollingRob Junior Ranger

LisaNKevin likes this.
  13. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

We checked out the nets from Cabella's, and then at Amazon, but decided that because of the center drop down area below where the original CRT TV was installed in our TD, we didn't have quite as much room as Dean did, so opted for some that were a little narrower to better fit our situation.
    These also mount with hook & loop fabric at the sides, with a strong adhesive strip for the side that attaches to the wood face of the cabinet underside. I don't think it will easily let loose from the wood, but the hook & loop sections may separate from each other if the net is overloaded. So will see if it needs some screws for reinforcement once we've used them a little. ZKSM 2 Pack Car Storage Net Trunk Back Seat Organizer with Mesh Universal Cargo Net Wall Sticker Organizer Pouch Bag for Car and House Organize, Black

Attached Files:

14. RollingRob

RollingRob Junior Ranger

15. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Update: Well after 3 weeks, with some quite warm weather, I opened the TD cabin today, and found that the adhesive Velcro strip on one end of one of the nets had let loose from the wood. So, rather than wait for the rest of them to gradually do the same, I decided to add some screws and washers for some added security. I used some 1/2 in flush head screws with some indented washers specially made for flush head screws, just because that is what I had on hand. Pan head screws with s standard washer would works as well or better.

Attached Files:

16. Just added this. The Rig Rite dimensions (22x12'ish) are ideal for hitting good "meat" with the provided screws; they go into the not just the ply but the cabinet frame as well. No need to shorten screws.

Thanks

17. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Just added these, and they're a fantastic addition. Made a great spot to stuff our pajamas.

18. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Just installed mine, thanks for the idea. Went with the Amazon ones. The screws don’t hit the brace on the backside and a 3/4 inch screw will poke through just a tad so you either have to shorten them a bit or go with 1/2 inch. I just put one stainless wood screw in each corner with flush mount washers and didn’t use the Velcro. Seems to be plenty to hold it firm.

Randy

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    dustinp likes this.