Blue Magic+aluminum+body shine

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Wendell Ann Hanks, Mar 30, 2013.

1. As second owner of #460 560 Ultra, Ann and I have experimented (see above postings) with bringing a shine to the aluminum body. The least expensive result for us is use of Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream and continuous use of clean towels to rub off the residue. The shine is there and so is the sporatic slight "smudges" that apparently come with the territory. Overall, the shiny body is dramatic -- as evident by the recent attraction of other campers in our brief desert camping weekend.

Main point: There is NO way the dark aluminum residue will disappear on a rubbing cloth from application of a polish. The body skin will continue to yield the black residue. This is not like polishing until the finishing cloth is void of dark residue. It won't happen.

Here's my how-to:
    1- Blue Magic Cream is sold on-line for about $12.00 for a huge 4.5 lb., 72 oz, plastic jar. We used no more than 1/4 for the entire trailer.

2 - Use a segment of a towel, wear cheap latex gloves (Harbor Freight) so the black residue won't color your hands, and rub a section in a circular motion until the black residue is consistent.

3 - With one of the many towels you intend to use and later wash, rub either circular or sideways, no matter. You will find some dark smudges - use a second towel and most will come out after a second polish application.

The Blue Magic also works great on the lighting fixtures, door handles, trim, and the clam-shell fenders.

That's it. Hope this helps and please keep experimenting!
    Any new how-to data is certainly welcome!

Wendell

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Wendell after five years and alot of time and hard work I think we are going to give up on the shine and let it naturally patina. :)

3. Anna & Steve-
    Your decision to stop the shine efforts and let the trailer return to it "natural" finish does make sense.
    Does the resulting "patina" occur within a month? A year?
    If the return is predictable, particularly within several months, all the labor to "shine" is certainly questionable. I wonder, if we decide to let ours return to the "natural" finish, will the slight colorations in the finish from polishing disappear?

Please report the time it takes for the shiny finish to return to a more "matte-like" finish.
    Thanks,
    Wendell

4. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Wendell search Re:patina & Walbernizing in care & maintenance it started on 4/25/10 and lasted till 10/10.I think you will find all you wanted to know about patina it's five pages long. :)

5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

The shine looks great. But for me personally I am going with the patina look. I am okay with knowing it will never look as shiny as the day we picked it up. Hand wash and we are ready to go.
    You will never stop the oxidation which means you will never stop polishing. I did try a test spot to polish, gave up on that pretty quick. I'd rather camp.

6. Wade and Nan

Wade and Nan Novice

I'm wondering if anyone has simply painted their trailer? My "patina" and pitting are not evenly distributed. And careful washing till leaves a blotchy looking exterior. So is anyone aware of painting? I'm considering it.