Best Camping Story of the Trip

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by jfocallag, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

When planning my sojourn to Necedah to pick up 'The Far Fars', one of my main goals was to see The Grand Tetons on the way back and spend two nights there. I called the Colter Bay RV park and was able to make a reservation for Thursday night. The plan was to check for a cancelation on Friday or move over to the dry camp next door that is first come first serve.

Here is campsite #4:

[​IMG]

We arrived after dark so we did not unhitch. We unpacked enough for my Mom and me to sleep in the camper and my sister slept in the car. (One thing to keep in mind when you do this is that you can feel when someone moves in either the camper or the car. In the middle of the night you might wake up from a sound sleep and freak out the a bear is shaking the camper. Not sure what put it in mind, maybe all the bear warning signs.)

The next morning I walked over to the dry camp to talk to the very nice man at the booth. He recommended that I come back around 9:30 to 10 to get a camping spot. I then stopped at the RV park office to see if there was a cancellation and was told no.

Around 9:30 we packed up the camper and car and headed out. I stopped at the office again to drop off my camping slip. The woman in the office said: "That is the cutest little camper I have ever seen!" My response: "And yet there is no room at the inn for her." Two minutes later, I was walking out of the office with another slip with camping spot #57 on it. This spot (as are all spots) is a pull-thru but it is sold as a back in because it is on an incline. However, there was more than enough room for The Far Fars to be level.

As a result, we were able to set up camp:

[​IMG]

And go sight seeing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ran the furnace both nights. We also managed to cook the second night. The other nights were after long driving days so we stopped for food.

This was the highlight of the trip! I will definitely be returning to spend more time.

(Please see post under Camper's Confessional for the low point that also took place in the Grand Tetons.)

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Great pictures and a wonderful story. Steve

3. mewton

mewton Novice

Sounds like you are having (or had) a great trip!

My dad took us to the Tetons when I was little. I've judged whether something was a mountain or not ever since by comparing them to my mental image of the Tetons. I remember having a 10,000 foot "mountain" in S. California pointed out to me, my reply "that's not a mountain, just a really big hill!"

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sounds like a great trip through the Tetons & Yellowstone. We've been there a couple times when the kids were little and it's one of our favorite places ever. Good luck with your new camper.

5. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Congratulations, Joan. Great pictures! Can't wait to pick ours up. Kathy

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Fun to hear of your trip - congrats the northern breeze and the side tent look great too.

7. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

Great story, anxious to read what follows. We will be following much of your path home after our visit to Necedah next month.
    Jim

8. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jim,I am already home. Except for the two nights in the Grand Tetons, it was a mad dash home. We did manage to see Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower along the way but plan to return to the area when I can make a more leisurely tour.

Hopefully, you have more time to explore. Have a great time!