Battery not Charging

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Ken95448, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Ken95448

Ken95448 Newbie

Looks like I left two interior lights on the last time I was working on/in the trailer.
    We took our 2004 550 Ultra out last weekend and, after disconnecting from our tow vehicle, found that we had ZERO power/juice to run the cabin lights. All lights (trailer and cabin) work when connected to the tow vehicle. Nada when disconnected. So, my question is, will a battery, with zero charge, not take a charge while it's being towed? This was the case as 4 hours of towing/charging netted zero charge to the trailer battery upon arrival at our destination (coming and going). I thought I read somewhere (not here in this forum) that you can bring a battery back to life by removing it from the trailer and applying a higher charge or ---?---...I'm not sure what the remedy was. I only have a 6/12 volt charger anyway. So, is there some hope/magic for reviving the battery or do I need a replacement? I don't know the age of the battery (original possibly, I'm second owner). Battery is all white, sealed, approx 10"Lx5"Wx8"H. I've not seen this size before. Smaller than a car battery and larger than any motorcycle battery that I've seen. (But then again, they're making some really large motorcycles these days). Any insight, thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I'm not sure either, but i have heard the same thing - remove the battery and charge it directly. Worst case scenario would be that it doesn't work. BUT, you'd have a new battery charger.
    Good luck with it.

3. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

We had the same problem we just had to push the reset switch in the galley problem fixed

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Yes, try taking the battery out and bench charging it. The trailer's on-board battery charger will not attempt to charge a battery that is too low (it thinks you connected it to a 6v battery).

The car should charge it while driving however. This sounds like it may not be wired fully to do the charging. Have the 7 pin on the car tested to determine if you have a properly wired charge line and ground circuit. We see this issue ALOT.

Battery replacement. That particular battery is a smaller 33ah AGM that we used to use. Very good battery, most likely the original. It is possible that it might have just fully failed after the deep discharge and will not come back to life now due to it's age. This is an industrial battery. To find a replacement you will need to go to an actual battery store. Some place like a Batteries Plus can set you right up. An auto parts store will likely not be able to help.

Cary