Battery Isolator Green Indicator Light

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Randy, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

The factory battery isolator located in the battery compartment has a tiny green indicator light on it. Does anyone know if it should be illuminated?

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

What model are you looking at? I think there are a couple of options. Are you talking the charger (on the wall inside the right hand side "under counter" Or, possibly the solar/isolator located in the cabinet to the right of the stove?

3. Randy

It’s the little green indicator light just below the arrow. Not getting any charge 8n shore power and doing some troubleshooting. Installed new charger which didn’t solve the problem. Have checked 50 amp breaker and the inline fuses in the battery compartment. 110 outlet is working, charges with solar but not shore power.

[​IMG]

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Oops, mine doesn't have one of those :) Can you see a label on either of the outside cooling fins? It looks like itmight be a Hellroaring BIC-95150B --- I don't know what Ci used...but it looks like a CI installation, and the images I found looks very similar.

Cary from CI can certainly illuminate this topic -

IF this is the same model, and I read the document correctly, it looks like the light will come on when the trailer battery is being charged from the tow vehicle.

Whoever wrote the install documentation I found needs a lesson in tech writing :O That document is horrible!!!

5. Randy

Thanks. I was suspecting the same thing. Will hook up the 7 pin to see off it lights.

6. Randy

Yup, illuminates when the 7 pin is attached to the running tow vehicle so appears to be working. Just no charging from shore power. I have reached out to Cary, thank you Sweeney.

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

No problem...not surprised it only comes on when charging from the TV. Doubt its even aware of the shore power charger.

What year is yours? There are 2 ways that I know CI charged....in my 2012, they had a battery tender mounted underneath but it wasn't the most reliable design (If your battery went south, so did the charger) there are charge lights on it, but they aren't visible unless you crawl under or wait for pitch dark and you can see light on the ground.

The newer charger is in the right hand storage bay (lower cabinet) towards the back of the trailer. It also has a red and green light on it.

8. Randy

It's a 2014 with the charger mounted underneath between the water tanks. A couple of weeks ago it stopped charging from shore power. After troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that it was the charger and installed a new Victron IP67 Bluetooth Marine Smart Charger. I was going to install this charger anyway in preparation for a new battery - a Victron 100AH Supercycle AGM. It also has Bluetooth monitoring, battery reconditioning cycle setting and Lithium charging capability.

I have confirmed all the connections on the new charger and per the Bluetooth app, it is sending voltage but it is not being received by the battery. All the lights and DC accessories work fine and when plugged into shore power, the 110 outlet works fine. It also charges via tow vehicle and solar panel (external solar controller). The only problem is that it is not charging via shore power. I have checked all the inline fuses in the battery compartment as well as the 50 breaker, AC fuse and GFI switch. I am stumped and have reached out to Cary but if you have any ideas I would welcome them! In my mind it has to be something in the thin wire bundle near the charger.

9. Randy

Nope. Battery is fine although I will be replacing my 5 five year old AGM with a 100 AH Victron Super Cycle AGM. My only problem is that it won’t charge via shore power. Charges fine via TV 7 pin and solar.

Kevin likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The deltran (battery tender) is one I'm familiar with --- not a fan. My 2012 (I didn' know the year of yours) had one that failed catastrophically. When I discovered it, capacitors inside had blown out and there was even a small scorched spot on the underside -- I assume the the capacitor overheated and flamed out. No fire, thank God.

I've been told that sick batteries do a number on deltrans.

If you plug the rig in, the charger lights you will be concerned with are located between the grey and fresh tanks underneath. You can see them shining down on the floor of your garage if it is very dark, red and green if I recall. I can't find the manual, but I don't have time to look either.

You can't miss the "battery tender" logos on it...although they may be faded or the labels gone in 10 years.

If the lights are off, check to ensure the circuit breaker on the trailer and the GFCI aren't tripped, and of course that the extension cord has power. Dont' ask how I know that. Likely it is this charger that has ceased to be. If the lights are out - its a safe bet its a gonner.

You can also check the voltage at the battery....if you disconnect from the tow vehicle and plug-in shore power you should see 13.3+ volts on the battery as the charger is doing its thing. If you don't see a voltage change...again, pointing directly to a charger that either isn't connected electronically or is dead.

Since you can charge the battery of the TV --- the battery itself is likely fine, or at least healthy enough.

Kevin likes this.
  11. Randy