baby moon hubcaps

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Dave & Brenda, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Dave & Brenda

Dave & Brenda Newbie

Anybody ever have any problems with the chrome peeling off their hubcaps?

We were waxing them, and when we were rubbing off the wax, the chrome started to peel up on one of them. It curled away in several directions, and is continuing to peel. It looks like it would all peel right off if we kept rubbing it.

Any suggestions? I didn't notice a nick in it before we started waxing it. (BTW, this is one that had a light but fairly complete layer of rust on the inside, pretty much right from the get-go I believe--we noticed the rust the first time we ever took it off to wax it.)

2. DaveNBrenda's request (above) for suggestions may have lead them to where can we purchase a new set of "baby moon" caps. From the chrome peeling off, my guess is the cap's quality is not a big feature.

Where can they be purchased - in addition to Camp-Inn?

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/29113/10002/-1?parentProductId=

4. Cary,
    Thank you.
    The on-line company is JEGS Automotive.
    Price for the Cragar 29113 Chrome Wheel Center Caps is $10.99 each -- shipping was 4.99 for a set of two. These are identical to what is currently on the trailer.
    Very reasonable.

5. Jenn stated: "My experience with Camp-Inn on Quality-Level is that they go way beyond what you would expect on every detail as well as they back up everything."

I agree Camp-Inn's quality is exceptional. I was not referring to them.

I was referencing the caps' manufacturer since the caps are not made by Camp-Inn. Considering the manufacturer charges only $10 per hubcap, it is unlikely this manufacturer uses Camp-Inn's chrome plating standards.

To help deter the rust from penetrating the front of the caps, spray paint the back side of the caps before installing.

6. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Wendell,

Good idea on the painting the back sides of the caps. Also, rub some wax on the outside chrome. That will help seal up the thin chrome job on them.

Hit the rims with some wax too before popping the caps back on, the chrome is much better on the rims themselves compared to the caps but still fairly light duty.

Cary