Itinerary Attention All Va, Nc, &surrounding Area:1st Annual

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by mcjimjam, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We have gone ahead and reserved the large group site at North Bend Park in Boydton, VA , on the John H. Kerr Reservoir, for the weekend of August 9,10,&11.

For lack of a better name, the 1st Annual M-AUC-ICC-O (Mid-Atlantic Unofficial Camp-Inn Community Camp-Out). (Prounounced Maw-see-co) How is that for a mouthful?!!

North Bend is an Army Corps of Engineers campground on a large beautiful lake. We will be in group site A, which is located on it's own secluded peninsula, with a view of the dam. It has 19 individual well shaded sites, with a large lighted picnic shelter in the center. There is excellent beach access for great swimming, boating, and fishing. A boat launch is adjacent to the group site. There is a nice bike trail that runs through the rather large park, and playgrounds for the kids. No electric or water hook-ups, but there are two water spigots available, and electric in the shelter. There is a nicely maintained vault toilet at the entrance to the group site. Flush toilets and hot showers are within walking distance.

Check-in time is 3:pM on Friday, August 9. Check-out time is 3:pM Monday, August 12. There will be a nominal fee, depending on the number of attendees, to cover the site rental fee.

This event is open to all Camp-Inn afficionados. Tents and other brands of campers are welcome.

Any help or suggestions with further planning of this event would be most appreciated. We are newbies at this, but wanted to get something started here on the East Coast.

We hope to hear from many of you, and look forward to camping with you, and sharing stories and ideas!

Jim & Jamie
    "mcnugit"

http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/Locations/DistrictLakesandDams/JohnHKerr.aspx

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camp...ode=NRSO&parkId=73293&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

http://www.virginia.org/listings/p...b_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=timeline_og

Below is a link to photos from one of our previous trips to this campground. It's not the group site, but may give an idea of how nice this lake is.

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=1199&Number=9381#Post9381

Below is an aerial view of the park. Blue drop pin shows peninsula where Group Site A is located.

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=23&page=1

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Oh, heheh.. I should have posted here, my bad..

re-posting:

Hmmm.... I could "knock off" a few states on that trip...

Route map Google

3. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

I'm sure we'll be there, it's only 20 minutes from us. We won't rack up any new states...but Frank, you'll get a long haul pin.

4. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Wish we could make it. Sounds like fun. May be we can make the 2nd one.

5. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

We'd love to come! I am definitely a CI aficionado; so much so that my husband has agreed to drive up to Wisconsin during our spring break and tour the factory.

Thanks Jim and Jamie for doing this. Please let us know how we can help.

Deb

6. Jim & Jamie,
    Count us in. I return to PA August 6th. It will be rushed but we will be there. Let us know what we owe you. It would be ideal if we could pay you when we get there. I will be in Alaska most of the summer and not near a computer. Use our email antonhan@pa.net. Ellen will be checking email and can get you a payment if you will need it before Aug.9th. We are looking forward to it.
    George

7. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Will you accept 2 Floridians? We're thinking about making the trek north.

How far away are the regular sites from the group site? I don't mean to be antisocial but I require electric in August. (And we'll probably stay for 5 or 6 nights.)

Meribeth

8. mcjimjam

Meribeth,

Floridians, and ANY and ALL other states are welcome!!!

We will be staying in the Piney Woods Group Area. There is a large picnic shelter in the center with 3 electric (110volt) receptacles. Would that work for you?
    Otherwise, the closest electric sites are located in B Loop, which is one mile away, but still in the park. There is a nice bike trail connecting all of the loops in the park.

We hope you will come. It really is a nice campground, especially if you like lake activities.

9. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Jim and Jamie,

We would love to come but we don't think we will be back until the end of August or beginning of September. Hopefully next year we would be able to make it.

Carol

10. What's the average temps there in August?

11. mcjimjam

According to the Weather Channel, the average high for August is 89 and the average low is 68. The averages are for the nearest town of Boydton, which is a few miles away. North Bend Park is on the lake, which tends to keep the temps a bit lower. The breeze off the lake also helps, as do the heavily shaded sites.
    We have camped there in July (average high 91, average low 69) for the past two summers, and haven't felt the need for AC. The Fantastic Fan was more than adequate, for comfortable sleeping.

12. Jim,
    Do they allow dogs at the group site?
    George

13. mcjimjam

YES! Dogs are permitted, but must be leashed.

14. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Jim is this still on?

We're still planning on going over, just haven't heard much about it lately.

15. mcjimjam

YES!!! MAUCICCO is still on!

Please spread the word!!!

Who is coming? This is attendee list, currently:

Jim & Jamie
    AJ & Michelle
    Deb & Kyle
    George & Ellen
    Benn & Meribeth (?)

We know there are more of you out there. Come on East Coast, Represent!!!

16. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Did you want to post this on the Tear Jerker site? We're not affiliated with a particular chapter but we are members, I thought I saw that you were too. We've camped with a few Tear Jocks & Salty Sisters from the Chesapeake and Old Dominion chapters and had a great time, these folks love to party. I mean really how many people know all the words to "Red Solo Cup" ...lets have a party!

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

AJ

17. mcjimjam

Yes AJ, we are members of the Old Dominion Chapter, and have met up with them and the Chesapeake Bay Chapter. You are right, they are a lively, fun bunch. We were planning on putting the invite out to all of them as well. We were just waiting to see what kind of response we would get from the Camp-Inn forum to make sure there is room for all of us. Looks like we will have plenty of spaces available. Thanks for your input!

Jamie

18. mcjimjam

LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN!!!

A little over three weeks left, before our 1st Annual MAUCICCO!

The Piney Woods Group Site at North Bend Park, on Kerr Reservoir, near Boydton, VA has been reserved. Arrival on Friday, August 9/ Departure on Monday, August 12= 3 nights total @ $100 per night divided by number of units attending.
    We did a week long test run there with some friends last month, and it received a huge thumbs up from everyone. Below, is a link to some pictures of our visit.

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=21300#comments

The campsites are shady, the lake is great for paddling, swimming, floating, and fishing. We will have our own private beach, on a peninsula set apart from the other campground loops. The picnic shelter is spacious, has three electrical outlets, and overhead lights- great for a central meeting area. There is a very nice bike trail running through the entire park, so don't forget your bikes!

We were able to contact Doggorunning of YouTube fame, and he has asked us to save him a spot, and roll out the red carpet for him!!

As it stands now, we will have a small number (6 units?) in attendance, but like Evan told us, it only takes two to have a gathering!
    It will be a low key gathering ( we are new at this! ), and as the date approaches, we will let everyone know of any other specifics. We are open to any and all suggestions! And there is plenty of room for others to join us. We are looking forward to meeting everyone........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  19. Lenny357

Lenny357 Novice

Thanks Jim, putting in for vacation time Monday :)

20. Cmckinnon

Cmckinnon Newbie

Jim & Jamie,
    I'm sad we are going to miss the first annual MAUCICCO. Count us in for 2014. I know this is going to become the premier east coast gathering. Hope we can camp with you again soon.