April In Northern Arizona

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by AlCat, Nov 12, 2022.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Would April 7-20 be too chilly?? San Francisco to Paria Canyon/Canyon de Chelly/Hubble Trading Post

Kevin likes this.
  2. M&L

M&L Ranger

We live an hour northeast of San Francisco (Napa), and have done trips to Arizona in April. Things can get a little chilly at night in northern Arizona depending on your elevation. Canyon de Chelly often drops into the 30s at night in April and could easily go lower (it can also get really warm!). Lower humidity can mean wider variations in temperature. Overall, we generally *love* going to Arizona in April. Bring some warm clothes, use your furnace (or a heater/campfire if you don't have one), and have a great trip!

Kevin likes this.
  3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Might get chilly at night but the days are getting longer so it wouldn’t seem like winter.

Kevin likes this.
  4. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

We do not have a furnace.

Kevin likes this.
  5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

A good down comforter would be a plus.

Tour 931, Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  6. Deb Hunt

Deb Hunt Newbie

Find a site with electric and grab a ceramic heater. I have mine at just around 50 degree mark to kick on and add a little warmth to the camper at night. Was perfect this past October as I ventured home towards snow!

Tour 931, Kevin and JohnC like this.
  7. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

As someone who prefers the shoulder seasons rather than summer, I too purchased a ceramic heater. Depending upon where and when I go, as well as the weather forecast, I may seek out a site with power (or not). The beauty of camping then is that you usually have a choice of places to stay. My $30 Vornado supplies more than enough heat for those conditions.

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  8. Vince G

Vince G Novice

We did AZ in April also. Agree nights get chilly and days are nice. We also use ceramic heaters.

Kevin likes this.
  9. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Kevin likes this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’ve done that many times before I bought my CI. It works great. At home I sleep upstairs and have the heat turned off and it can drop down to the 50’s. I use a large electric cat pad because I can sleep on it and not have it over me. My hips ache at night if they get cold.

Kevin and dustinp like this.