Anyone Using A Shock Absorbing Ball Mount?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Andrew Cushingham, Feb 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Anyone have any experience with shock absorbing ball mounts?

We normally tow our 560 with a standard ball mount behind a Honda Odyssey. However just got a new-to-me 1/2 ton pickup. Shopping for a ball mount and came across this heavy duty shock absorbing adjustable ball mount. The Curt Rebellion XD.

It seems to be designed for folks pulling seriously heavy trailers (10x a teardrop) to reduce bounce. Factoring out price, since this thing is quite pricy at $350-400, my question is would it work or be useful to reduce shock on the hitch or the trailer?

Here is another one that seems meant for a lighter duty trailer. Gen-Y Glyder

Anyone have experience with shock absorbing ball mounts?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

My opinion is that it would be unnecessarily complicate the towing of a 12-1500#, well balanced trailer.

Jerry Kemp and Vince G like this.
  3. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

I would second Lipster's comments, tear drops, by their very nature are very light.

If you're truly experiencing shock from towing, I would definitely share your setup, along with several high quality pictures posted here. This is only me putting myself in your shoes, but I'd look at upgrading the tow vehicle to something more capable before I would be interested in shock absorbing mounts for a tear drop class/weight vehicle.

4. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

For a Camp-Inn, a solution in search of a problem...

Jerry Kemp and Sweeney like this.
  5. Thanks for the input. Will stick with standard hitch ball mount for now!

Lipster you might be right! Just keep it simple.