Anyone Go From A Van To A Campinn

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randy, Jun 5, 2024.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Have to admit that I have been thinking about a van lately as my wife and I will both be retired by next summer and we plan on upping our mileage and camping frequency. Just wondering if anyone has gone from a van to a CampInn and how you compare the two.

Randy

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'd like to TOW with a van. Turn the van into a indoor living room with a TV, storage, and a shower/bathroom :)

But the camper is coming with me for the galley & bedroom...I've looked at many before I got my campinn, and just never saw one that really 'worked' Lots of fiddling around just to get something as good as I already have, with the exception of the tow vehicle with a living room/storage/shower/bathroom....

Randy and Kevin like this.
  3. Randy

I would likely sell the CI if I got a van. Having to not tow a trailer is one of the advantages in my view. An absolute downside is it’s another vehicle to maintain, insure and park so that’s a big consideration. So nice that I can tuck the CI into the garage. A van would not fit in my garage, too tall.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    Kevin likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Tucking the CampInn into the garage (for storage and easy to work on preventative maintenance) is probably THE distinguishing benefit to KISS glamping, for me, as Mr Fixit.
    Sometimes I just go take a nap or read my Nat Geo Road Atlas and plan next trips...mini man cave.

dustinp and Randy like this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Did someone say party! This is my 2020 Ford Transit limo conversation van. It pulls my 560 like it wasn’t even back there.
    00AC6A1B-7E83-4640-BF39-606475545254 by Tour 931 posted Jun 8, 2024 at 4:36 PM
    It gets about 20 mpg pulling the trailer or not. It has plenty of power and has all the bells and whistles. It’s also AWD for these Wisconsin winters.

The seats are very comfortable for both passengers and driver. The rear seat powers down to make a completely flat and comfortable bed. I’m 5’8” and can barely stand up in it. Changing clothes is easy and not like in a car.

The biggest downside is it will not fit in my garage. I’m taking care of that by building a 30’x50’ garage with two 10’x10’ doors.

I could easily use it as a camper and especially as a road trip vehicle. I don’t really camp and use my CI as a cross country bedroom so only having the van would suffice. Being that I already have the CI I’m going to keep it because I do occasionally camp and like having the stove and sink. I own both a fully loaded 560 and a 550 without many options.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

6. Randy

Thanks for sharing. 20 mpg is great!

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Of course that is at 65 mph. At 75 mph I only get 17 mpg. On the other hand I get 23 mpg at 55 mph which I can’t do on the freeways.

8. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

“50 Drive 55” was the Carter advice in the 70’s. It works but you stand a good chance of being pushed off the road.

Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I remember the push to 55. why not 60? At least that way its 1 mile per minute...but I digress. I do not remember the 50 drive 55 part though.

Heck today, doing 70 will get you pushed off the road...

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Doing 75 will get you pushed of in Chicago! I’ve driven in dozens of large cities and think Chicago is the worst.

dustinp, Ken & Peggy and Kevin like this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

+1
    Houston is a crazy town to tow thru...
    Saw a semi lose a couple dual tires at once like a grenade just a few dozen yards ahead on the left second lane,
    and it got a little western there...
    "Boy howdy!"
    Like dodge'em bumper cars at the state fair there for a bit...
    The AutoW brakes option are worth every penny...

dustinp likes this.