Any Suggestions For Campgrounds Between Moab And Flagstaff?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Sky bear, Aug 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Any suggestions for campgrounds between Moab and Flagstaff this time of year?

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'd have to check your route. We just spent 18 days in southeast Utah, from Moab to Zion. Yeah, it was hot, but the evenings were pleasant.

3. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Would be interested in your camping spots in SE Utah as we plan to follow I-70 & I-15 on down to
    Zion.

4. AlCat

[I REVISED THIS TO NOTE THAT THE TRIP TO HORSESHOE CANYON IS FROM GOBLIN, NOT FROM DEADHORSE. IT'S DOABLE FROM DEADHORSE, BUT EASIER FROM GOBLIN]

Hi, Dave. Not sure how much of this helps, but here goes. I am sure the I70 to I15 route is faster, but that means you miss the best reason to go to Utah in the first place. Highway 24 to Highway 12. Capitol Reef and Grand Staircase. Breakfast (or lunch) at Hells Backbone Grill in Boulder. Tremendous scenery.

Just spent 18 nights in:
    Eastern Sierra (Silver Lake)(California)(1)
    Great Basin NP(1) (Nevada)
    Arches NP(4)
    Dead Horse State Park (Utah) (2)
    Goblin Valley(2)(to do Horseshoe Canyon rock art - horseshoe canyon utah - Google Search) (hard hike in the heat - would be moderately strenuous if it isn't 90 degreees)
    Capitol Reef NP (Fruita)(3)
    Zion NP (Watchman) (3)(When driving into the park from the east/tunnel entrance, I saw my first ever Bighorn Sheep about 50 feet off the road. While I was howling for Cat to look at the sheep, she directed my attention to the road in front of the car - where the dominant male was guiding one of his females to get off the road. We were very excited to see these beautiful animals up close!)(I even got some good photos, which I will eventually post.)
    [Then quick stops for sleeping at:
    Valley of Fire State Park (Nevada)(1)
    Red Rock Canyon State Park (CA - eastern Sierra)(1)]

-Al

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  5. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Thanks, Al. Didn't see your earlier message. Yeah, Hwy's 24 & 12 ideally would be the way to go. Probably
    mid Oct. will be a go. Weather should be ideal.

6. AlCat

We didn't like the Goblin Valley campground very much, but that likely was due to the extreme heat and the fact that there were flies at the campground. When the campground cleared out and we were the only ones left, it seemed that we got ALL the flies.

October should be great. I don't know how much rain the area is likely to get in October. Just be careful about flash floods, slot canyons, etc.