Any Suggestions For Camp Sites Near Yellowstone?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Andrew Cushingham, Jan 29, 2023.

1. We are planning a summer road trip from Tennessee to Oregon and back and would like to spend five days or so near Yellowstone in the grand Tetons national park. Does anyone have any suggested campsites we should look into? We don’t need electric sites.

Thanks,

Andrew

Kevin likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Are the park campgrounds already full on your dates?

Camping - Grand Teton National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I've have had good luck using I-overlander app to find places at last minute. It is crowd sourced so reviews are variable but seem to include county, state parks, and dispersed camping on national forest lands pretty well.

I havent camped there in a few years but I know its packed in Yellowstone in summer so give yourself extra time coming and going in and out of the popular places, behind all the big rigs, as traffic can be slowwww...;)

Here are a couple screen shots of places noted on the app from around the area.
    John C was taking pictures up that way last year I think...he might have ideas.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  3. We camped at Tower Falls in Yellowstone and liked it a lot. No reservations & you’d need to be there early to get a spot. We got there at 7:00 am. The previous couple of nights before that we were at Bridge Bay which is one of the massive campgrounds there. We live in the eastern time so being up early to make the drive was easy for us. Our backup was to go on to Mammoth campground which is one of the last to fill each day.

In the Grand Tetons, we camped at Colter Bay which is huge. You’d need reservations there.

Kevin likes this.
  4. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Yes, I was in Grand Teton (GTNP) for a week last fall. I'm already booked for 2 weeks this spring and plan to return for 2 weeks in the fall again as well. But my intention is to spend the majority of that time in GTNP and not Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is a huge park. It takes a lot of driving to get everywhere. If it is your intention to spend most of your time there you will be better served camping in Yellowstone itself or possibly just outside the park in West Yellowstone. That said, if you do still want to camp in GTNP the largest campsite with the best chance for availability would be Colter Bay. That's where I'm booked this spring. It is towards the northern part of GTNP. Gros Ventre is also on the larger side but it's another 25 miles south from Colter Bay.

Colter Bay Campground, Grand Teton National Park - Recreation.gov

Gros Ventre Campground, Grand Teton National Park - Recreation.gov

If availability in Yellowstone is a issue, I'd still highly recommend staying in GTNP and visiting there. It's a much smaller park. There's some great landscapes to see, many hiking trails, lakes with marinas and some spectacular wildlife to see. Well worth the visit.

Kevin likes this.
  5. Thanks everyone. We were able to book some campsites in Grand Teton NP, and in Yellowstone NP.

Ken & Peggy and Kevin like this.