Alcan Cover Alcan Cover For 560 Ultra?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Bob and Terri, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Bob and Terri

Bob and Terri Newbie

Hello Camp-Inn owners,

We will be picking up our 560 ultra this September and are trying to decide on some kind of protection for the front of the camper. The Alcan cover, Camp- Inn mud flaps, or no protection are our current choices. We have read the older threads from 2013 and 2014, but are looking for input from folks that have tried the 2 protection choices. Input regarding using no protection is also desired. Tow vehicle is a 2016 Subaru Outback.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Bob and Terri

2. We have neither the Alcan cover nor the Camp-Inn mud flaps. We got our trailer with the 3" lift (great for so many reasons) and we don't seem to have problems with rocks hitting the front of the trailer. My truck does have mini hard mudflaps (stock from Ford).

RollingRob likes this.
  3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

We have both. If you will be traveling on gravel roads, I think both are necessary. Our first trip to Death Valley was without the mud flaps (Rock Tamers purchased before Camp Inn offered their version) and we had noticeable dings to the nose of the 560 above the Alcan cover. If you will never see gravel roads you might not need the "belt and suspenders" approach but I am glad that we have both.

RollingRob likes this.
  4. I would be surprised if Subaru doesn't offer a standard mudflap for your car. WeatherTech offers a set for $89. Also, the type of tire you use could influence how much gravel you fling. My truck's all-terrain tires are pretty knobby vs my sedan's tires which have plenty of small grooves for wrapping around pinching pebbles and such. No problems for my particular configuration on gravel/dirt/mud (3" trailer lift, stock vehicle mud flaps, all-terrain tires).

5. Bob and Terri

Bob and Terri Newbie

Thanks for the replies.
    For those that have the Alcan cover - how easily is the cover installed and removed?

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I don’t think the cover is meant to come on and off. It can be removed, but I suspect that doing so regularly would damage the cover.

RollingRob likes this.
  7. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

FOR SALE - 560 Ultra Raindrop For Sale

A few folks have had the front of their campers painted with bedliner paint. It was professionally done at a bedliner place like Rhinoliner and looked great. Something I am considering in the future,

Randy

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    FL Carol likes this.
  8. Greg & Shelly

Greg & Shelly Novice Donating Member

The Alcan Cover is an option you can add later.

RollingRob likes this.
  9. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I do remove my alkan cover each time I wash my camper. It is really ugly under there but no rock dings. I have a rock tamer on the back of the car to also help protect the trailer. I want to retain as much value in the trailer as possible. When I pass the trailer on to the next person I want it to be as close to new as I can keep it.

RollingRob likes this.
  10. Bob and Terri

Bob and Terri Newbie

The replies are much appreciated. I think the initial plan will be to install WeatherTech mud flaps on the Outback and see how that performs on normal highways.

11. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

I can't find the covers anywhere on the CI site. I would like one for our 2006 550

12. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Just email camp.inn@tds.net, they’ll be able to help you order the right one for your CI

RollingRob likes this.
  13. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

I would highly recommend the Alcan cover (it's only around 1%-2% of the cost of the trailer) - if it gets ratty (or you don't like it), you can always take it off and/or replace it with a rhino liner or a new cover. Mud flaps on the tow vehicle is also a very good idea.

Our 550 was recently "bedazzled" (Craig's term) on a less than 20-mile trip down a road we must have caught in the middle of a resurfacing project - between the layer of new gravel and the compression - the road crew somehow managed to dump about 3" of gravel on the road which seemed pretty excessive - maybe a spreader error? some kind of gravel graft? It was awful!

Anyway, we figure it's not the worst gravel road we'll drive down - although hopefully maybe not quite so much gravel! Pretty much the entire front half of the trailer was affected. Our fenders will have to be sanded and there's nothing we can do about all the little chips in the aluminum except enjoy the sparkle and wait for them to oxidize.

RollingRob likes this.