Airtag As Tracking Device For Teardrop

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by dvoisinet1615, May 5, 2021.

1. dvoisinet1615

dvoisinet1615 Novice

It seems like the new Apple Airtags would be a great solution for tracking a stolen Teardrop (or other vehicle). I understand that when you are out of Bluetooth range you can put your AirTag into Lost mode and get a notification when it's within range of the Find My network.

I had my homebuilt teardrop stolen several years ago and replaced it with a CampInn 550 which I would sure hate to lose. I have multiple levels of security on my teardrop but for $29 I may give it a try.

AirTag

Jerry Kemp, dustinp and Vince G like this.
  2. Great find.

I just got of a quick chat with the Apple support. Key results...
    __The tracker can work with any phone as long as it is paired via bluetooth. (I assume he meant any iphone). There are more precise locating featues available with the iphone 11 and newer.
    __The app is already on your phone (Find My iphone)
    __Unlike other trackers I've seen, this one has no ongoing subscription fees, which is pretty cool.

I think I'll give it a try. Just curious... what other security features do you have?

Cheers,
    --Ken

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  3. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

So do I understand the Airtag can identify the location of your item as long as the tag/item is within distance of a cell tower?

4. SethB

SethB Ranger

The way I read Apple’s Airtag page, any iPhone or other device that is bluetooth aware that connects to the internet becomes part of the “find my iPhone/Airtag” network.

Apple simultaneously claims good security, that is, I lose my Airtag and start the “find”, John’s iPhone passes within bluetooth range of it (30 feet?), and passes that GPS info on to Apple... and to my phone. John never knows his iPhone found my Airtag. I guess.

5. From the link shared in the original post:

Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage.
    I interpret this to mean the AirTag can connect with nearby Bluetooth enabled devices via short-wave radio, not Wi-Fi or cellular signals. Iff the enabled devices are networked (via Wi-Fi/Cellular) then the AirTag's location can be transmitted.

I don't typically use this app. I figure I will turn it on, pair my AirTag, and then disable the app. Then, if my trailer goes missing I can activate the app and locate it. Other than not receiving the "low battery" alerts, does anyone see a problem with this approach?

Thanks,
    --Ken

6. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

That's sort of what I thought. But only if John has his "find my phone" turned on? I don't even know if mine is turned on now. Does everybody have theirs always turned on? And still not sure how the Airtag transmits to John's phone. My guess is bluetooth only. But regardless, to send information to the cloud would either require Wi-Fi or cell connection, wouldn't it?

I suppose for a one time cost of $29 there isn't much to lose in trying it. But it would be nice to understand exactly what level of "service" it provides.

7. dvoisinet1615

dvoisinet1615 Novice

I have the usual security precautions: 1. Hitch lock. 2. Lock on the safety chains. 3. Wheel lock. 4. Remove one wheel in the winter. 5. I keep the stabilizers down when parked. This would slow down any thief. 6. Three security cameras aimed at my teardrop in the alley. 7. Homeowners insurance to cover theft when parked on my property.

I’m probably overly paranoid but I’ve had one teardrop stolen so I’ve learned my lesson.

8. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

From Apple:
    1) Just like your other Apple devices, AirTag can be put into Lost Mode. Then, when it’s detected by a device in the network, you’ll automatically get a notification.

It only works with Apple product and does not work with Android devices.

2) AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s traveling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

If the Airtag is in your stolen trailer, it will first sent an alert to the thief's Apple device and then it starts playing a sound. All the thief has to do is find the Airtag and dispose of it.

I think this is almost perfect.

The company 'Tile" has something similar but they may charge an annual fee, I don't know much about them.

rmbrowder likes this.
  9. I'm sorry to hear about having your trailer stolen. That would be very disappointing, to say the least. I don't have wheel locks and park my trailer in a garage. But, I do use a hitch lock when travelling. I used to live on an alley... seemed to attract trouble. Sounds like you're taking reasonable precautions. I suppose if you wanted to go one further you might install a hidden manual kill switch/disconnect for the brake lights. That would be one way to get the trailer pulled over faster by CHP. (Or rear ended :(). Thanks again for bringing the AirTag to my attention.

Cheers,
    --Ken