TV/DVD Aftermarket Flip Down Tv

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Ninjamini, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

Has anyone installed a 12v flip down aftermarket tv? They go much bigger than 15" plus you gain storage space.

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

What I've seen discussed is to forget the TV, even an after market, and instead get a laptop or tablet-y thing of your choice with a TV tuner/antenna.

A laptop props up relatively easily on the flip down shelves, and it has multiple uses, not just a TV, but your computer, too! And of course, you can easily upgrade to the latest every year (if you are so inclined).

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

In the iPad age, the built in TV doesn't make as much sense as it used to.

4. The model in our 2010 560 is the Supersonic SC 1312 13 inch 60hz LED-lit TV. Amazon listed them 5/11/2013 for 140.99. It works great and the 12 volt operation makes it a big plus.

A good question is whether to purchase one now as a replacement for the likely electronics inevitability of sometime non-operation of this factory installed unit or wait for the need to occur. Amazon did say "four left." As always, the question is what are the chances of this model being made a year or two years from now? Is this the model planned for factory installation the rest of this year and into 2013? Will a future replacement be able to use the same creative system, rack, and molding, currently being used?

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Wendell,

We cannot guarantee that future TVs will mount in existing mounts. The TV manufacturers typically redesign the TV yearly and we end up having to re-engineer the mounting system from time to time. We currently have a fairly generic mount which is adjustable and should work with future iterations but not knowing what the future holds makes that a guess.

We use 15" TVs, not 13". That is a incorrect model number.

Cary

6. Because it's local but also because they make beautiful and proven products, I'm hoping to purchase the Hover Bar from TwelveSouth after we get our TD. Maybe those that already are TD owners would be able to better weigh in on whether this would be a viable iPad option.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/hoverbar/

The clamp will adjust to up to 1" thick surfaces. Again, not having a TD in front of me I can't be 100% certain, but would think on the interior, this could work well clamped to any of the storage cutouts/drop down doors. And of course outside would work in the galley as well just as it would in your kitchen at home.

And again, the beauty of it is that it still doesn't confine you to using the iPad when it's replaced by something else in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I could see that working well. It looks like it would stow easily too.