Roof Rack Adding roof rack after build

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Jim Carter, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Can you add a roof rack after the build or is it like the accessibility option that there is extra reinforcement built into the structure to support it?

DrTwitch likes this.
  2. DrTwitch

DrTwitch Novice

I'd like to know as well.

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

If I remember right it needed to be part of the build. Cary should be here soon to give a definite answer.

4. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

It can be added after the build!

However, Camp Inn strongly suggests that they do the install. It is tricky to drill holes in the proper location, or you may offset too much for a good solid screw connection or miss the frame altogether.

I got tired of packing tents inside my vehicle (made it difficult to get at everything else), so I desired a Yakima Sky Box to attach on the trailer. The top of the trailer is shorter than my vehicle (FJ Cruiser). I can reach stuff in my skybox without a ladder. I decided on this modification last summer. My easternmost plan was Bismarck, ND, but I ended up driving to Necedah for the add on. It was worth the peace of mind to have Camp Inn's craftsmen perform the install.

I have an 8 foot garage door, so the 560, with skybox, fits no problem. However, it will not clear a 7 foot garage door, without removing the box. Note that I have no idea what you want to put on your roof rack. I have room for the skybox on the passenger side of the roof rack and my solar panel can be clamped on the drivers side.

By the way, I ordered and had shipped to Camp Inn the roof rack and skybox. The craftsmen even mounted the skybox. Call Cary or Craig to schedule an appointment. The work took about 2 hours, if I remember correctly.

RollingRob, Tour 931 and Jim Carter like this.
  5. Jim Carter

I am thinking about adding an awning since the ease of setup would make it more likely that I will use it even if only camping one night.

RollingRob likes this.
  6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Can the grab bars also be added later?

7. Jim Carter

I'm pretty sure I heard that it is not possible to add the grab bars. I wish I had ordered them.

8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I ordered both but have never used the roof rack. I use the bars all the time.

RollingRob likes this.
  9. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I'm pretty happy with the grab bars too. Although I'm 47 and still fairly limber, they're really nice to have. It just eases getting in and out and is a more stout attachment point to hang things (like my double walled Rtic water cup and the Luminoodle string lights). It's an option I'd recommend for anyone.

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I use the grab bars for a towel rack and bought some wood clothes hangers were I can move the hook sideways and use it for a clothes hanger too.

RollingRob likes this.
  11. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Grab bars can be added later on newer 560s, 2016 or newer I believe. Cannot be added on 550s after it is built however.

Cary

RollingRob, Evan and Jim Carter like this.
  12. Greg & Shelly

Greg & Shelly Novice Donating Member

Thanks Cary, that is good news! I thought I was out of luck on getting grab bars.

13. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

I wonder if a template might be available that would enable me to install a roofrack without drilling too many holes in the wrong places. Preferably no wrong screwholes. Does anyone have suggestions as to how this modification can be made? I'd like to be able to use a Yakima Skybox. Is the roof vent is still operational after the box installation? We are unable to take the camper to the factory, although it would be a great place to visit.