A Little Winter Maintenance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by campdude, Dec 18, 2021.

1. campdude

campdude Ranger

I have my original 2013 tires coming off and getting the new Goodyear Endurance mounted and balanced. I just purchased this in July 2021 from the original owner and he said the tires have 2,000 miles on them at best. The tread is great, was always garaged so there is no weather checking on the sidewall but, the age makes it mandatory for replacing.

Its also a great time to look underneath ...do a good cleaning, greasing the stabilize rs, replacing the front wheel, etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    LisaNKevin, Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

CIs are low maintenance, not NO maintenance :).

I haven’t ever lowered my stabilizers yet. The suv suspension seems stiffer than the standard….

Kevin likes this.
  3. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

So how are you going about replacing the front wheel?

4. campdude

campdude Ranger

Jim

You had to ask.....didn't ya'

To replace the front swivel wheel,
    1. walk out to the garage
    2. open garage door
    3. walk to the tool box
    4. pull open 3rd drawer on bottom chest
    5. remove sockets and wrench
    6. close 3rd drawer on bottom tool chest
    7. walk ..don't run to garage that the Camp Inn is stored in (safety first)
    8. lower the back stabilizer jacks to allow front end to be lifted
    9. jack up front of Camp Inn Ultra
    10. walk back to first garage and get the jack stand I forgot
    11. again walk ..don't run to garage that the Camp Inn is stored in (safety first)
    12. slide jack stand under front frame of Camp Inn
    13. lower the frame onto the jack stand
    14. remove the nut from the bolt passing through the swivel jack wheel (lefty loosey)
    15. pull bolt out of wheel hub
    16. drop the wheel from the swivel jack
    17. slide bushing into poly wheel
    18. place replacement wheel into the opening in the swivel jack
    19. slide bolt through assembly
    20. place washer and nut onto bolt
    21. tighten bolt with socket (righty tighty)
    22. jack up Camp Inn 550
    23. remove jack stand
    24. lower jack
    25. walk back to first garage with sockets, wrench, and jack stand
    26. wipe down tool and put away
    27. walk back to garage where the Camp Inn is in storage
    28. reach into garage refrigerator and grab a cold Upper Peninsula "Yooper" ale
    29. stand back and admire a job well done

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  5. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thx Bill, I was wondering same on the jack wheel.
    And
    Thanks for the tires update, bookmarked for later reference.
    This forum is a such a great resource for new owners like me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    campdude likes this.
  6. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That is entirely more detail than I was expecting. I was thinking more along the lines of what do you replace it with and where do you get it. :)

PrairieVikings likes this.
  7. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

6" replacement caster wheels are available on Amazon and E-Trailer for about $16.

Kevin likes this.
  8. SethB

SethB Ranger

A note to those who might have a handy tow vehicle with access to the trailer…

This can be completed any time your trailer is on the hitch!
    Better in Spring or Summer when the weather is warm and delightful, not cold and frightful.

LisaNKevin and Kevin like this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Can tell CamperDude has either an IT or Engineering background. Ask a simple question....and stand back.

10. campdude

campdude Ranger

Lol Jim...I knew what you were asking...I purchased a 6" urethane caster with a greasable through bolt.

Attached Files:

dustinp likes this.
  11. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Unfortunately, my 550 has to live/be stored outdoors. I use the stabilizers to elevate my 550 to both keep the tires off the ground, and also to allow for room to put wheel covers over the wheel/tires, which limit UV exposure.

tdldjdx2 likes this.
  12. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

I ended up replacing the entire wheel+jack assembly. The OEM one wasn't broken or defective, but it just had a significant amount of play in it. I have a NT (Northern Tool) just a couple miles away, and replaced it with a unit that looks almost identical, and at least currently has significantly tighter clearances.

Disclaimer - yep, I know that NT is just slightly higher up the scale vs the most dangerous/scariest tool store in the entire US (Harbor Freight). I've had the new jack in place for ~year and so far its been OK.

13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'd trust NT (we have one not too far from us) FAR more than I would (bottom of) the Harbor Freight. They are better than they used to be -- but it is still all china junk and after March 2019 - I'd rather keep as far away from cheap imports as possible.....even if I have to pay more.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  14. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Amen

Just because it worked/continues to work for me doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea.

Always buy quality. With very few exceptions, I get what I paid for.

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I can't say I never buy from HF, but I prefer NT. Klutch and Pittsburgh are tools that I will use or more likely abuse and throw away. We were doing some tuck-pointing and used HF tools....I KNOW the grinder ingested a ton of dust. When we were done with it it sounded like it. I didn't cry about throwing out a $20 grinder that I KNEW was going to die a horrible death. So, I guess HF has its place.

But you're absolutely right, buy quality and you'll only cry once. The saddest thing is that many of the "quality" brands until you get into the professional range are't much better.

What is funny is "Tekton" which sounds like a fly-by-night, found in the bottom of the harbor company...actually makes awesome products....priced in the consumer range. Its hard to choose some times :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Jerry Kemp likes this.
  16. campdude

campdude Ranger

I agree with a tool that is a single or limited use that you are not going to use on an ongoing basis, Harbor Freight has it's place. If a person was going to use the tool as a depenable long term tool, then it maybe a better option to purchase a quality tool. But the price will reflect the better quality.

dustinp and JohnC like this.