A day-trip to Starved Rock state park

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Ken & Peggy, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

What a great place to hike - several canyons cut into the rock along the Illinois River near Utica, IL. There's a nice campground as well.

(I don't know WHAT happened with these...)

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Looks like fun nice pictures

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Kewl, nice and green like... fun...

4. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Great hiking weather this weekend! Beautiful photos. We usually head down there once a year to hike.

If you haven't been, Matthiessen State Park is just a stone's throw from Starved Rock and provides a fun, not-too-long hike similar to Starved Rock.

5. Ken & Peggy

Thanks all. It is still pretty green, but there's some hint of change. Matthiessen is great - we flipped a coin to decide which park to hike this time. Hopefully we'll get back that way for colors in the next few weeks. Keep us posted on the foliage progression out there ;)

6. 1Door

1Door Novice

Clicked on all 3 attachments, but only saw 3 total photos. I am not too good on the computer.....but I like the one with Peggy (?) because it shows the size of the rock formations around her.

7. Ken & Peggy

You didn't miss anything, there are only 3 pics to see. That is Peggy, adding interest to the setting. She's been very good about being in my pictures over the last 37 years. Now that she's got an iPhone I'm beginning to get a taste of my own medicine...