7 Pin cable is too short

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Evan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The 7 pin cable on my Camp-Inn is about 2 inches too short to reach the new socket on my RAV4. Anybody know the best way to make it longer?

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Evan, we wound up having to buy a length of cable and the 7 pin connectors separately and making a short extension cable when we bought the double hitch to accomodate our bike rack. I don't remember where we got the parts - either Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, I think. There's a thread or 2 from sometime last year on it. If I can find it I'll put the link here.

7 pole RV Connector

7 pole Connector w/ 8 ft. of Cable

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Evan,

Yes, you will have to follow Ken's lead on this one. Damn Toyota has been doing this to us for about 2 years now. They designed all their hitches to locate the 7 pin in a location that absolutely no trailer cable could ever reach. We have since lengthened our cables even further just because of this. On everyone else's vehicles the cable is too long typically now. Thanks Toyota.

Cary

4. Evan

Cary,

Is it feasible to replace the 7 pin cable with a longer one, or will I have to use an ugly bulky extension.

5. slumry

slumry Novice

Now you have me worried. I have one of those evil Toyotas and will be picking up my trailer soon and I am wondering if I am going to have a connection to nowhere? I am just having a problem visualizing how Toyota’s superb engineering was able to locate the jack in a spot that was calculated to be just out of reach of the trailer plug. Evan, do you have pictures?

6. Cary Winch

Evan,

You will need to go with the ugly adapter. We can change the cable out but it would involve a trip to WI and leaving the trailer with us a couple of days.

Slumry,

I think you missed the statement where I said we have since lengthened all our cables so they will plug into even a Toyota. Yours will be fine.

Cary

7. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

Cary
    We may be buying a Toyota and just checking to see if I understand the cables are longer on all models in the last two years?

Thanks,
    Jason

8. Cary Winch

Jason,

We changed it on all models. But, we would have probably made the change about the time yours was built. So, I really don't know if yours will reach or not. Won't know til you try. Seems that we starting seeing hitches built in 2010 being the start of the problem. We haven't been doing the longer cables for the whole two years because we didn't know it was a problem for awhile. So, we made up a few of the ugly adapters that Evan will likely need to have before we saw a pattern and made the change. I do have to say I don't like that we had to make the cables longer. We already run longer cables than is normal on a trailer to account for everyone's hitch setups. Now with the longer cable it is always just too long (expect on a Toyota). I guess that is what tie wraps were invented for.

My suggestion would be for everyone to ask Toyota how to resolve the issue, it is their very non standard hitch arrangement that is the issue. I would hope that they have an answer for their customers. But then again it is probably like Subaru requiring our customers to use trailer brakes as to not void the warranty and then the Subaru dealerships refusing to install brake controllers in their cars so our customers can used said required trailer brakes. Likely it will get you nowhere. Ay carumba!

Cary

9. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

Thanks for the info Cary! Ours on the Expedition does have a good bit of slack but we'll see if/when we decide on the vehicle.
    J

10. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi all-

Mick reminded me that we have put an extension on our 7-pin cable for his FJ Cruiser (Toyota). We have been really happy with the set up.

He said he got the extension from www.etrailer.com. He is trying to find the part on the site (but having trouble), so if he comes up with it, I will update.

Here are a couple of pictures of how he connected it. We do have to bungy it up for my car, so the cable doesn't drag, but it isn't that big a deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Evan

Thanks, Sarah. That exactly what I need. The way you've got it attached down to frame helps it look better than I thought it would.

BTW, what's wrong with your wheel on the 2nd picture?

12. Mick'nSarah

I think the rocks created an uneven surface for the board to sit on and it looks a bit wonky (that river rock throws things off a bit sometimes). I straightened it after I took the picture. I realized something was a bit off when I posted the pics. It was in the locked position, so no big deal...everything was safe.

13. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Hope your wheel jack is okay...the only two times I have ever seen one sit at an angle like that (leaning both bottom and top) was due to one not being fully locked (although it appeared to be) and the other one the jack itself was locked but was bent due to not having been put away properly before moving the TV. :(

:cool:

14. Mick'nSarah

It is fine now. We have it all sorted. The block it sits on, was sitting at an angle, due to the rock, and we righted it after I took the pictures. I also checked that it was locked into place. There was a little click, but the pin was all the way in and didn't move, so I am thinking it was just the pin moving in the hole (sound kind of like that). I dont think it is bent. It looked fine once we sorted it out. She looks good as new!

Although that cover is leaving all sorts of marks on her skin from being outside. Looks like Mick has some work ahead of him :) (too bad he is traveling so much for work right now, or that might not be too far from the truth!)!

15. Evan

Just don't stick your finger under the ball socket when the pin isn't locked... :(

16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Ah, Evan, that makes MY finger hurt just thinking about it!

This is what Evan is talking about -
    [​IMG]

17. Mick'nSarah

You know, as I was checking to make sure things were locked into place, I was thinking about Evan's hand. Made me be extra careful!

18. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

Got the 7 pin installed today on the new tow vehicle and cable is fine :), just have to flip the ball on the the hitch.

[​IMG]

19. Cary Winch

Jason,

That looks perfect. That is not at all the Toyota hitch that has been causing the problems. Thankfully. On those it is way to the driver's side and way up underneath.

Cary

Jerry Kemp likes this.