7-pin Adapter For Subaru Outback

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by sarmay, Aug 12, 2018.

1. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

We have a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i, which has a hitch integrated into the bumper. I assume this is a factory installed hitch (we're not the original owners). It currently has a 4-pin connector, and Cary told me that we will need to get a 7-pin adapter installed and wired (except the brake controller wire for the Autobrake brake controller). I'm unsure where we should take our car to have the 7-pin adapter installed: our regular car mechanic? I'm also wondering where the 7-pin connector should go on? There isn't an obvious place for it in line next to the hitch with the integrated bumper.

Would appreciate any advice from Outback owners. Thanks.

2. klint74

klint74 Novice Donating Member

We have a 2015 Outback with factory installed hitch and 4 pin. I ordered 7 pin through Etrailer. Our mechanic installed it. I did call several other mechanics who also said they would install it. Rv centers also may install it. Ours is located next to the 4 pin.

3. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Curious how your setup looks. I can't figure out where the 7-pin would go? This is what our hitch looks like in the bumper.

4. Our hitch was added as an after market by a place recommended by the Subaru dealership. We took it back to the same place we needed to add the 7 pin. And if you look at the bumper, you can see what happens when you don’t hitch the Camp Inn properly.

014970D4-1CC3-4415-BDFE-A0B2C6AB6FCA.jpeg

Kevin likes this.
  5. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Thanks. I am wondering if I will need to get a whole new hitch/bumper set up. That would stink.

6. klint74

It appears that the 2015 hitch has changed from your model. P1040620.JPG P1040623.JPG P1040623.JPG

7. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Thanks! The part where you have the plate for attaching the 7-pin connector seems to be the same/similar. It's the notch in the bumper that is different. I'll take a look at it closer tonight to see if it looks like we can mount it underneath the bumper.

Etrailer also said we would need an additional part to actually charge the trailer battery from the TV battery.

8. klint74

I ordered the 7 pin and all the associated wiring including the ground from them. I can't remember the package number, but the adapter is a Hopkins and included additional wire for brake. Our mechanic took the time to hide all the wires under the interior panels.

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Look at doing it youself --- there are TONS of youtube videos on the subject, and it really ins't all that difficult. The newer harnesses do not require cutting or splicing of wires, just plugging in between the existing plug/socket on the tail light assembly and then routing the wires and ziptying it all together. Usually you can find a drain plug which eliminates the need for drilling of any kind.

Check with your local u-haul shop, quite often they will sell you the adapters and install for a fee. Just be sure to inspect the work before you pay for it. Sometimes you get more mature people who care about their quality of work -- other-times you get ...kids.

Your regular mechanic should be able to do the install as well if he/she is willing. There isn't really any special skill needed, just a level of care for doing a quality job.

Kevin likes this.
  10. campdude

campdude Ranger

Sweeny, I just did a 7 way on a Subaru Outback. It is not plug and play running the power and brake lines up through the cabin. Then there are the 30-Amp and 40-amp circuit breakers under the hood. Not to mention the reverse lights if the trailer has those.

Kevin likes this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Fuses...fuses...fuses....Last thing you need is excitement of that type :)

12. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We have a 2013 OB and I installed the 7 pin. E-trailer has a great video explaining it all. Like above I took the extra time and ran the wiring through interior, but here is a small rubber plug under spare which allows access and then under interior panel’s then out through firewall. Project took about 2.5 hours. PM me if you have any questions…R

Kevin likes this.