6 State Trip/site Availability/strange On-lookers

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jerry Kemp, May 3, 2021.

1. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

6 state trip/site availability/strange on-lookers

Just completed a 2600 mile, 6 state trip. Highlights include seeing Mount Rushmore/president heads, driving thru Sturgis (nope, not going on right now, I just drove thru), saw Devil's Tower, and multiple national parks.

Expanded out a little more, started out in Texas, then Oklahoma pan handle, then eastern Colorado (lots of nothing to see). Nebraska next, had never been there previously, so wasn't sure what to expect. As we passed thru the northern parts of the state, saw some great hills, lots of pines and other great areas. South Dakota and Wyoming were great. Then came back down (more central and western side) of Colorado. Much more scenic than the trip up north. We love New Mexico, and had planned to spend some time there, but a failing master cylinder had us re-evaluate and pass on NM at this time as we pointed our truck for home. More on this later.

Site availability - I have to admit, I was somewhat concerned about finding spots to stop. There are so many Internet articles coming out right now suggesting that I should have planned and reserved spots months ago. The reality could not have been further from the truth. 2 or 3 nights, it seemed we were the only ones staying. But for the entire week long trip, absolutely no problems finding sites, and choosing the preemo camp sites we liked.

The closest we saw was Thursday night (29 Apr) at a lake in southern Colorado. I don't know if there was a fishing tournament going on or what, but there were a lot of boats. Still, we had no problem getting a spot. Its just more of a high light where we had (non-animal) neighbors.

Also, had planned on boon-docking where available, none of those panned out.

Also had a weird gas station encounter. I have several old trucks I tow with, so its not uncommon to get attention and questions regarding my tow vehicle, the tear drop or both. Towards the end of the trip, was nursing a failing master cylinder, so my attention was there. While tending to (under the hood) matters, had a couple approach me asking about my Camp Inn. In hind-site, it was such a weird encounter. Most people are polite and respectful. This couple was so pushy, it was on the verge of rudeness. They wanted to see this and that stuff about the trailer, and "let me finish this" wasn't an option. I'm typically pretty accommodating, but the encounter just really threw me off. Wondering if others have had encounters like this?

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  2. I’ve pulled into a campground and had people come over immediately wanting too see our Camp Inn. It will be Friday of course and you are trying to get set up, cook supper & get cleaned up before dark. Most people are ok with tomorrow but I’ve had a couple of times people were rude about it. We had stopped getting people like we had in the beginning, but with a lot of new campers lately, we are getting more questions.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

love it up there. Even wall is worth the stop for ice water and donuts.

we stayed at a park in Sundance….nicest private park wcve ever been. Can’t wait to go back.

I want to go back to the KOA there (devils tower) just for the screening of close encounters which I’ve seen about 3 million times….then to drop south to Colorado before heading eat through KC and visiting Strouds for chicken

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  4. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I ha
    We had a guy flag us down on the road traveling. He wanted to see it, but we were in a hurry.

Warren Mary Ellen and Jerry Kemp like this.
  5. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

I think that tops anything here or in the forum archives!

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Our experience was always The same. We developed a good cop bad cop method. I’m REALLY good at bad cop. Otherwise every gas stop was a full tour. I’ll answer a question or two, and give a card … but frankly I just want to go

out of hundreds of stops, I have now idea how many called campinn. If I have time and I’m at camp…we are both good cops. But there’s a time and place for everything. The middle of BP is not the place generally other than a quick look….

I hate being a jerk. But people will suck the life out of you. Maybe it’s different post Coupf…

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  7. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

hmmmmmm......... thanks for this. Saw Sundance exit signs, but we were trying to make some time and did not choose to go thru there. In hindsight and with your comments, fearful I made a mistake there that I will not have the opportunity to remedy. :(

8. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

WOW! My comment seems so trivial now.

We had really planned our trip open ended with a goal of 7 hours of driving a day (i.e. 7 hours * 60 MPH average===~420 miles per day). It wasn't a time thing on my part, I'm generally happy to show people my vehicle and/or my tear drop, same as I am happy when someone will give me a show of their vehicle that I'm interested in.

It just thru me off that they were rude and pushy. But again in hindsight, it seems like my experience was nothing, either in quantity or intensity, to what you have experienced. Sorry you not only had to go thru that, but you've done it enough you've got a defense routine. Just life I guess..........