560 Ultra Build (planning stage)

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by hiadventurer, Jul 3, 2014.

1. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Hi to all, We have been a huge fan of the Camp-Inn trailers for several years and have been planning and researching our trailer for about a year now, I have spent many an hour reading the journals and topics on this site and we are very near to ordering our trailer (560 Ultra) this coming Fall with an anticipated delivery date in Spring of 2015. We will be visiting Camp-Inn in late August to get a closer look at the facility and talk to them about our dream trailer. I am seeking any current owners of a Camp-Inn opinions regarding the option of adding the TV/DVD option and the Sunroof option to our build, are these worth the added cost. With respect to the TV/DVD does not a good laptop computer (with and added shelf) have the same capabilities? Thus increasing storage space. The other is the sunroof. I have one in our Outback and don't use it that much, is it worth the added cost. Finally the trailer brakes, are they a must with the 560 Ultra, we are planning to travel in higher altitudes. Thanks in advance for your response..R

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

And the fun begins. I am not a TV watcher but I did have the coax put in just because I was unsure about what I would want in the future. I did not get the TV/DVD. Like you I thought I could do what I wanted with a lap top. I am now really impressed with the Kindle but haven't invested in one yet.
    I thought I had ordered the sun roof but found out at the last that I hadn't. I was really disappointed at first but I got used to the idea of not having it and am ok without it now. It does at least eliminate that possible leak point.
    I would never order one without brakes. I would not want to do mountain traveling without them. I really try to shift down and not use my brakes any more that necessary but I think in an emergency they are very important. Sometimes in traffic you have the need to stop suddenly when someone stops in front of you. I think the brakes just might save me from an accident.
    that's my two cents worth. Happy decision making.

3. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I can help with this one...we no longer offer the sunroof as an option, which means one less thing for you to decide! :) :)

:cool:

4. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

Why???

5. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Thanks Betsey..my wife (Missy) and I plan on a visit to Camp_Inn on August 15th hope to meet you then! Ron

6. Pick

Pick Novice

I second that....Why? Have I purchased one of the last?
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

7. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

You are correct that a good laptop/ipad would suffice in place of the TV. We opted for the TV as you can still plug in a media extender such as as WD box or chrome cast and access other services or play media files. It also has the wow factor when you open the door people just go wow it's got a tv as we'll.

I would go for brakes you never know when you might need them especially with a smaller TV.

Have fun choosing your options

8. CampMech

CampMech Novice

My 560 is not here yet, due early Oct, but here is my opinion anyways since we had to make the same decisions :)

Brakes, my tow vehicle is also an Outback(2013), and we plan on mountain driving. Subaru says you need brakes for anything over 1000 lbs and Cary recommended we get them. That alone sealed the deal for us. We towed a tent trailer once without brakes, everything was fine but anything heavier we would have wanted them. Our 560 with our kids and all our stuff will easily put us over. I think they are needed.

We don't see the need for the tv. We have computers and a tablet, and phones... We don't see us watching much tv in our 560, but if we want to we have our other devices. We don't even own any DVDs anymore, we are all digital, so it just doesn't make sense for us to spend the money.

9. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Welcome to Camp Inn Unofficial Forum.

The current 550 has brakes, which I now see the value for added stopping. The first 550 did not have brakes, pulled thru the Smokey Mountains with the 2010 Subaru Outback with no issues. When stopping noticed a little push from the teardrop, but no problems stopping as needed. No I do not notice the teardrop push when stopping. For me, I will always have brakes on any future teardrop.

As for TV, never had an installed TV. Do have the coax installed, which I recommend because gives you lots of options in the future. I do have a small 10 inch TV that I have used a few times. Also ability to hook up an antenna. Usually watch using the laptop.

Jean

10. Pick

Pick Novice

We decieded on the tv/dvd player to be able to catch local news and local programing when possible. Also to watch old movies on dvd's. We will still have our ipads/laptops but hope use use all of this sparingly as it will probably mean it is raining if we are watching.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

11. My husband and I just made a visit to Necedah today! Had a great tour and visit with Cary. He said they are no longer offering the sunroof option on new builds. That helped us make that decision. He said they have too many warranty claims and don't need the hassle. We haven't ordered our 560 ultra yet, we hope to do so soon.

He did show us some new options that we now would love to have - leather seating, wood inlays in galley, table extension for side table by sink, back-up lights with led bright lighting, bamboo option (looks a lot like the mahogany). As far as the TV - I think the advantage is that it is mounted in the door of a cabinet so doesn't take up any storage space - also already wired. I suppose a laptop would work as well.

Cary said that the trailer brakes depend on the vehicle that is doing the towing. We have a Hyundai Santa Fe and he felt that it wouldn't be necessary.

Alice & Doug Worthington
    Fort Myers, FL

12. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

I've noticed that different states have different laws as to whether brakes are required or not, so I think I'd err on the safe side and get the brakes. I know some of the eastern states flat out require them regardless of weight.

13. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Alice and Doug, Did you by any chance take pictures of the wood inlays in the galley, the bamboo option (seems like this would be much more sustainable choice than mahogany--we chose the birch option)and the leather seating? Also, does anyone who has the sunroof regret getting one? We've sent in our deposit but the building has not yet begun and we are wondering if we should make any adjustments to our order.

14. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Remember one day you may change your TV so might want the brakes at a later date. We started with a Santa Fee and still got the brakes so we had options. Also in the event of a re-sale some states require trailers to have brakes.

15. Pick

Pick Novice

Good point. Resale and safety win win. Just because it isn't necessary doesn't mean it wouldn't be benificial. We went with the bakes for those reasons, that and mountains!
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

16. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The brakes are one of those options that pay for themselves the first time you have to stop in a hurry.

17. Kelly

Kelly Novice

"They" - as in the folks at Camp-Inn - don't need the hassle of sunroof warranty problems???? Boy, I sure hope that the hassle and inconvience to their customers who travel all the way back to the factory for sunroof repairs was also part of the reason they decided to call the quits on the sunroof.

18. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Ceallach, as anybody who has dealt with Camp-Inn knows, Camp-Inn treats their customers better than just about any other company on the planet. You can be sure that Camp-Inn had their customers in mind when choosing to discontinue this option.

19. Pick

Pick Novice

I ordered the sunroof,one of the last apparently, and wish I had known there were issues. That being said I still would want the sunroof. I'm sure Camp-inn will stand behind their product. I would also hope IF I have a problem the repair(s) could be made locally and reimursement(s) made from the factory. A seven hour drive one way is a lot of gas!
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

20. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Well, I'll deal with both issues - brakes and customer service.

We decided to add brakes to our 2008 550 before a planned trip from Chicago to the NW this summer. We had been to NM and CO a couple years ago and really could have used the extra stopping power/peace of mind that the brakes give.
    While at the CampInn factory last month to have the brakes installed, they discovered an issue that required some extensive welding be done. Instead of saying 'Oh well, you're not going anywhere', they called in the welder they use and got the job done THAT DAY - while I waited.

Was it a 'hassle'? You betcha. But it's how companies/people deal with hassles in their everyday lives that make the difference between 'mediocre' and 'superior'.

I think if people knew the kind of ongoing Customer Service CampInn provides, Cary, Craig, Marty and the rest of the crew would be a lot busier building trailers than they already are.