Couch / Bunk Beds 560 Sofa Questions

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by BillE, May 4, 2016.

1. BillE

BillE Newbie

Greetings, not an owner yet, but this lurker got interested enough to register and ask a few questions. Looking at these marvelous campers I am curious as to how usable is the sofa in the Raindrop? And I mean as a sofa, not a catch-all or dog bed.
    First, is the sofa comfortable? Is there any angle to the back rest and are the cushions comfortable? I would be interested in a comfy place to read a book on a rainy day.
    Also, when using the sofa it appears as if your feet would be resting on the mattress, right where the pillows would go. Is that correct? And if so, how do you owners deal with keeping that area clean enough for sleeping?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I love our couch. You can set two different positions: When in the lower position the seat bottom is about even with height of the bed and the back is pretty upright. My wife likes to sit on it this way, but I am not too comfortable with it, my knees are too straight. But in this position it can act as an extension of the bed if you are particularly tall or don't like to sleep with your feet under the cupboards. The other position raises the front of the seat and angles the back which for me is quite comfortable for reading, watching TV, fiddling with my phone, or just sitting and meditating. The front of the cushion is about three inches above the bed allowing for some knee bend and the top of the back is far enough in front of the windows that you don't bonk your head. I move my bed pillow down to the foot of the bed when sitting on the couch. The overhead light is positioned just right for reading and can be dimmed so you can read and your roommate can sleep.

By the way, there is a 12V outlet in the cupboard behind the couch. I keep a phone charger plugged in there with a cable routed around the side. When sitting on the couch I can easily use my phone plugged in to keep the battery up, and at bed time I plug in the phone and put it in the cup holder. The cord can be stuffed down the side of the couch when not being used.

Now about keeping the couch clear enough to actually use is a matter of discipline. You need to be vigilant about putting stuff away in cupboards or your tow. There will be inevitable shuffling of stuff around a bit when changing your usage of different parts of the cabin. We keep a box of tissues on the window sill, the couch pillows and a throw blanket on the couch and try to keep everything else stowed. Failing that, whatever is on the bed gets moved to the bed when sitting and back on the couch when sleeping.

3. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

We opt for the bunk bed configuration in our 560 Ultra when towing and camping. We have no kids or pets, but find the bunk bed option perfect for storing our clothes duffles and misc items. No problems when traveling and super easy to reach everything once in camp. Also, in the bunk bed configuration, it's very easy to access the front locker storage area.

For night time TV and movie watching, we leave the bunk bed configuration and prop our pillows up and they turn into a nice "head board". Hope this helps.

4. BillE

BillE Newbie

I will have to sit in one for myself to know for sure of course, but I did want to get some first hand feedback. Thanks for the replies!

5. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I also really like my sofa. It is comfortable in the slightly reclined position. I have not tried using it in the bunk position. I keep mine in the bench position for easy access to the storage and use my pillows for a back rest when reading or relaxing. I removed the throw pillows that came with the trailer. To me they were just extra clutter and my bed pillows work much better. I'm careful not to store stuff on my bed and sofa. I keep a folding box to put my shoes in and that is on the sofa at night.

6. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I think the sofa is perfectly comfortable for sitting and watching TV while waiting out bad weather. I think the incline in the back is just right so you are not sitting to upright and leaning back.

The bottom slant is also good so that your not sitting legs straight out.

I think your challenge is that it does serve as a place for your clothes so if you don't have them packed neatly in the cabinets, you have to move stuff around. We made a side entrance tent for clothes, potty, changing room so we try to keep it somewhat free. Though our dog does sleep on it at night. However, if we are waiting out bad weather on the couch, then the dog is on the bed so it all works out.