WANTED 550 Classic Or Ultra In The Southeast

Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by Mary Fox, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Mary Fox

Mary Fox Newbie

I will be selling my home this January/February to downsize and at the same time - while I have a bit of ready cash - I'd like to buy a tear drop. Have been haunting the Camp Inn web site for about a decade now but I'm getting close to retirement and it's time to make this happen.

Eric E and Kevin like this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Welcome Mary and good luck, welcome to the nomading glamping lifestyle.

My advice: dont seek perfection- just grab a used one in as simple a style as fits you and hit the road!

As you do, you'll learn all sorts of things for "next accessory" and the little things that make your CampInn even more comfy and "yours", all the way up to "next teardrop" should that time come,
    that you can only know by just getting out there...and enjoying the great outdoors.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    Corbin likes this.
  3. Mary Fox

Mary Fox Newbie

Hi Kevin. Have done a bit of camping already. Lived in a gorgeous Dreamliner in the 70's, owned a Forester pop-up for a few years, and have done a lot of tent camping. (State park, not rugged.) I think an almost basic teardrop would satisfy my minimum requirements quite luxuriously. Unfortunately, I'm not handy and couldn't diy any additional essentials that might be needed. ("Know your limits", you know?)

We'll see how this goes. Thank you for the welcome. Hope to see you out there next year!

M.F.

Kevin and Corbin like this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

You are very welcome. I think the youtube Drew posted on his Playing With Sticks showing the older gal's fitting out of her Road Toad was instructive. You dont need much DIY skills to get started, IMHO, including a well maintained ready to go basic 550.

There are a couple owners here who have posted in past or whom you might PM for more ?'s, and an email to Cary will always be answered promptly once you own one, even if second or third owner.

5. Mary Fox

Mary Fox Newbie

Thank you. That was fantastic! I've been thinking a Road Toad was an accessory like specialized chocks or something. :rolleyes:There were some great ideas in that.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Mary Fox

Mary Fox Newbie

Hi. Me again. Been checking every week or two while I pack and lose my mind. Have only seen the same few trailers listed. Mostly I see 560 models or 55o's with way too many luxuries. Is there really no one wanting to bail out of their model alltogether but thinking it's not what is poplarly sought after? I really don't want an a/c, heater or any entertainment features. I don't THINK I need an SUV package. I DO want the ceiling vent and fan but I think those are standard. And I've seen people upgrading their plumbing which is intrigueing since I completely failed at repairing mine in my Forester pop-up. I wouldn't mind a little staining of wood or, certainly, patina on the shell.

Above all, the models I've seen for sale closest to what I would like (and like to pay) are all the way on the west coast. Is there no one between Texas and Michigan or east thereof who has a model like this that they would like to sell for between $8 and $15K?

7. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Hi MF.

There have been a couple older CampInns "pop-up" since your last, I think...in the price range you mentioned.

Didja see this one?
    FOR SALE - 2010 500 Special,suv Off-road Tire Package

You may have to "hit the road" to go a little further than preferred to grab one and I would not wait too long for the perfect list of features- you do need the overhead fan IMHO but dont worry about "SUV" its just a little taller and most come that way now it seems.

I agree AC optional but if you are waiting for one without- you may lose out on a whole season. Instead just dont use it...but I predict you will love it one muggy 90 degree night in the south in the summer...you can thank me later!

The same for sink- I dont use mine to wash dishes eyc...I just use the tanks and faucet for fresh water and I pretty much wash dishes like when I car camped or backpacked, easy peasy, and so no worries on the plumbing. I dont see many posts on repairs needed to these things- they are pretty simple.

Patina-yes, minor imperfections, yes, on mine and to my mind the point is to use it...
    vs seek perfection.

Remember- You cant buy more time...

I keep trying to upload a picture of the map on Cary's wall 3 years ago but its not loading-
    It showed that at least 1/2 of the pins stuck in map are east of the Mississippi...
    so one will popup soon enuff
    but if I were you I'd drive cross country for a good one...
    tent car camp on the way there and...

Just think of the upgrade to "CI luxury in better than Baby Airstream quality" trip on the way back!

Glamp On!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  8. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Hi Mary,
    Good value campers do come up time to time. But the ones priced fairly go fast. Best to check the forum everyday.

I see you are in GA and if you plan on camping in the SE USA; I would recommend getting the AC. It helps when dealing with the humidity and those warmer days.

Lipster and Kevin like this.
  9. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

We don't use our CI AC very often. But when we do, it is really appreciated. We usually use the teardrop after Labor Day, but every trip it seems, we encounter at least one day where either the heat or humidity is very uncomfortable. We are in MN.

Jenn and Kevin like this.
  10. Mary Fox

Mary Fox Newbie

Yes, I have the same experience with my car. For some reason, the family always seemed to go camping in Spring or Fall and under trees (Not always the wisest either) and never had a problem evenings in the tents or pop-up. But we always appreciated a fan!

I'll start checking more often, though. Thanks. Since some of this listings are a couple years old I assumed there just wasn't that much activity.