Itinerary 2014 Nw Camp-inn Round Up

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by JoeB-NW, Nov 11, 2013.

1. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

I know this is a little early, but I am in the planning stage for the trip to pick up our 560. We are set to get the CI in May, actual date TBD. I heard a rumor that the NW Gathering for 2014 might be in May as well. My wife and I would love to meet you all, but we are concerned about the timing. Can any of you seasoned veterans shed some light on the possible timing for the Gathering. We should be getting our 560 around the 15th.

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Evan or Slumry would be the best contact and would have a better idea. I think it sort of bounces around, believe the last one was in August?? I forget.. but they sort guide it along...

Here are some photos from the last one at Mossyrocks, WA

Gallery

[​IMG]

3. slumry

slumry Novice

Tentative plans are to hold the event around the Memorial day holiday, figure May 24th through the 26th. Venue should be the same. We are also expecting excellent weather. ;) Subject to campsite availability and the whimsies of chance.

4. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Great plan, Memorial Day weekend should make for cooler temps at Mossy Rock. Susan and I will make every effort to attend.

Michael

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Those pesky whimsies of chance! Evan, will you and Lena (and Katie of course) still be around for one last brouhaha in May?

We are in! Mick will probably be getting back from overseas. No trip is planned yet, but that always seems to happen!

This might be the earliest this has been planned in...well...ever. Dottie is currently snug in the garage and I am wishing we had a few more trips this year (might need to wait for a few breaks in the weather and head out!). Until then, I have ski season to keep me busy...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I'm not sure if we will still be around, since my classes in Ft. Wayne start at the beginning of June. But if we are, we will be there!

7. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

That looks as though it will work, we will plan our return trip to have us in Mossyrock. How would that be for timing, pick up the trailer and make it to the gathering right on time. As of now, if it is going to be memorial weekend, count us in.

Joe and Alex

8. slumry

slumry Novice

Some more details as promised:

When? Friday May 23rd to Monday May 26th. Gatherees ™ have not had any problems getting access to the site if they arrive before the official check-in time of 2:20 PM. If you want to arrive earlier than Friday or stay later you will need to book a regular site at one of the other areas at the park.

Who? Everyone is welcome who has a teardrop, tiny trailer or tent. Camp-Inn is what brings us together but we enjoy the company everyone, and their friends and family, who are interested in teardrops and tiny trailers. If you are considering a Camp-Inn, this is the place to come to learn everything you would want to know about Camp-Inn trailers. Come for visit or bring a tent and camp with us.

Where? We will be holding the event at Mossyrock Park at their primitive group camp site. It is the same site as last year and the year before.

How much? This has been based on the number of parties we have, I probably should be more careful how I use the term party. In any event it has been about $50 per party for all three days and I would expect that it will end up being the same cost this year.

Whatever shall we eat? Same arrangements as last year, nothing formal, just bring something to share in the evening.

Activities? The primary activity seems to be sharing stories of the road and swapping sundry lies and half-truths. Of course we are on a large lake so fishing and boating opportunities are available. Also, remember that the Packwood flea market occurs over the Memorial Day weekend. This is one of the big deal flea markets. Details here:

Packwood Flea Market

Also, if we ask Frank nicely he might take us to the Ape Caves. I will volunteer, if folks are interested, to lead an expedition to the Windy Ridge Interpretive Site on the north side of Mount Saint Helens.

Directions to the site, more details about checking in and general logistical information will be provided as we get nearer to the event.

9. Evan

Thanks for the details, Stephen.

Right now our plan is to head for Indiana on June 9th, so I think we will be able to join the crew at Mossyrock. Yahoo!

10. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Great news Evan, thanks for the updates Stephen, see you all there.

Michael

11. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Kewl Stephen....

[​IMG]
    Have to be aware of the "Ape Cave Monster" lurking down there..
    Unlike Sasquatch, he as been seen... blue Jacket, just a glimpse of him...

Looking forward to it...
    I wasn't sure if the Ape Caves would be open, but should be OK... says "Open year around" but then a side box says 'opened June 9th.. believe that is OLD info...

Anyway, would be fun to do them again, min 2 flashlights each and maybe a Chem light. Warm as it's cold down there regardless of the weather top-side.

It's a little further away from Mossy Rocks than I had thought,
    apx 2hrs by Google maps

Would be fun to do again... Whhhooooo hahahahaha....

12. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Great shot, that would be fun to do. Susan and I visited Carlsbad Caverns for the first time on this trip (Dewey's maiden tour) first time in a cave period, actually, it was way awesome. I did the lower cavern tour as well, got to climb on my hands and knees through a crawl space hole in total darkness hundreds of feet below the earths surface, kind of spooky but kinda fun too. Might just be the year for caving.

Michael

13. Evan

Can we rename the gathering to the Delayed 12th Man Celebratory Camp-Out?

14. Mick'nSarah

Ummmm...what if we were cheering for the Boncos?

Ha ha! I kid I kid! I was cheering for the puppy in that Budweiser ad. And the Clydesdales. And that gorgeous farm. And...wait, was there a football game? Who won?

:)

PS-on a camping note, that cave adventure is right up our alley. I think we would be game!

15. Evan

Especially if it's raining. Great time for a cave.

16. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Seattle won...and deservedly so. As I said earlier, those boys are off the hook.

And the 12th man did a great job, too. Congrats.

Enough with the self flagellation...spelunking is a hoot. Jim and I love to lurk around in dark caves (might have something to do with not being too far removed from our ancient ancestors, but let's not get into that). Oregon Caves are excellent and there's one we stomped through somewhere in Virginia or West Virginia? Can't remember the name off hand, but it was gorgeous.

There are some caves in California, but the earth shakes too much. We're not really all that eager to be caught under ground when the big one hits. We're funny that way.

Sue

17. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  18. Mick'nSarah

Sue, a friend lived out in Plymouth and there is a big cave out there that is on the national register or something. She was telling me they were doing a tour in the cave when the big one hit in the mid-late 80s...can't remember the details, but the tour didn't feel a things. They say caves can be some of the safest places depending on the type of rock.

We have enjoyed several caves. Recently did the Lewis and Clark Cavern jn Montana, and did Wind Cave in SD. Both were fantastic. I will say if you have been in caves over the last year and haven't changed out your hiking shoes, you should sanitize them. The poor bats are having a terrible time with disease and we humans are tracking a lot of stuff in. We need to be careful about going in "clean".

19. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

All I can say is it's a good thing the Seahawks have the Vikings as a farm team. ;)

20. Pick

Pick Novice

from Indy hope to see Luck and Company in the big game soon. Kind of spoiled here from the great run with Manning. Go Colts !
    MDP Mike & Denita