Fridge / Cooler 12v Fridge - Where Do You Store It

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by K & K, May 4, 2019.

1. K & K

K & K Newbie

Just wondering if users are storing their 12v freezer/fridge in their TV or the Camp-Inn? It seems that it would be more useful in the TV where it would always be available when you are off hiking or sightseeing. If you do store it in the TV vehicle what size would you recommend for two people and how do you power it when the TV is not running?

Kevin likes this.
  2. Hello K & K,

Great question... I look forward to learning from other users on this topic. For trips 4 days and less I actually prefer the analog (ice) cooler since it is simpler and has a larger capacity. In both cases I leave the cooler in the trailer.

Edit: the electric runs of the battery/solar panel. Also, there are lots of bears in the places we travel. Leaving food in cars is a recipe for disaster so we only pack what we can carry for the day. Get the biggest one that will fit in the stove area.

Thanks,
    -Ken

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We keep our Dometic 35 fridge/freezer in the TV for the reasons as you stated. The food in kept in the cooler which resides in the galley. This setup works best for us.

4. K & K

K & K Newbie

Van_and_Terri,

1. So the cooler contains the non-refrigerated food? Or are you using as a transfer from car to camp?
    2. When the TV is parked are you running the Dometic 35 off the car battery or something else?

5. K & K

K & K Newbie

When you are in bear country, you say you don't leave food in your car. I assume then you don't leave it in the trailer. Is that correct?

6. K & K

K & K Newbie

Does anyone use an external power source like the Goal Zero Yeti 400 lithium when the TV is parked? You could recharge it when the TV is operating or via solar. In the North East with limited sun shine (trees or clouds), I am not convinced the standard agm battery is sufficient.

7. RShep

RShep Novice

My preferred method for my Dometic is traveling with it in the TV in 12 VDC freezer mode making ice in trays and frozen water bottles and my cooler in the TD. This provides quick access for icing drinks while traveling without raiding the TD. If I have shore power I rotate my Dometic to the TD and connect to 110 VAC and store my cooler in TV if critters are an issue. I rotate my thawed water bottles in the cooler for frozen bottles from the Dometic as needed. I never buy ice with this arrangement unless I am boondocking for several days. This works best for my TD which doesn't have a solar panel, brakes nor a 12 VDC connection on my 7 pen trailer connector. I prefer the 2 litre square juice bottles due to the freezing time and shape to fit in he corners of my Dometic. Dollar stores carry ice trays with small pockets that freeze quickly. I always leave home with several frozen water bottles and ziplocks with ice cubes. I set my Dometic to power down at the highest DC voltage setting to protect my TV battery. An iced adult beverage at the end of a long drive sure is refreshing.

8. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Yes, the cooler in the galley contains the non refrigerated food. Running the Dometic off the TV has never been a problem. Draws very little current.