10th CICO

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by jfocallag, Feb 13, 2013.

1. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

First step complete: my vacation request has been approved!

2. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

So glad, Joan! We will see you there! It is a VERY good time.

Bob and Kathy

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Woohoo! I am working on it. Need to clear it with Mick (I am calling it my birthday present since my birthday is the following week). When I get that clearance, I need to clear it with Laddy's school since he starts kindergarten this year. Then the planning begins!

I was serious a few months ago. Folks want to caravan out from the NW? Could meet up in Spokane, and go from there. We could have preset campgrounds where we want to meet at night in case folks want to stop and see something that others might pass on. Or something like that. Let me know.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

kewl, caravan works for me or in Idaho, whatever works..
    Just let me know,

[​IMG]

fun...

5. jfocallag

I would be interested in a caravan. I have asked for 9/18 through 10/4 off. My plan is to leave on 9/18 and arrive in WI 5 days later. Camp Inn is going to look at a couple of things for me and I want time to sit and relax before the drive back. At some point, I plan on visiting my relatives in Green Bay.

I would like to either go the northern route through Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota so that I can fill in my map. Maybe come back via a southern route to fill in more states.

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We like the caravan idea too! Count us in.

7. jfocallag

I am planning my route east to WI. I am trying to decide whether to stay on the interstate across Montana or follow highway 12. Any recommendations?

8. fpoole

Heheh, not sure who you're asking but...??

Here's the route I have right now.
    As noted in earlier comments/posts I'm trying to knock off a few states for the map thing...

Google Route to CICO and then I head on down to the Balloonies in NM

I'm figuring on 8hrs apx each day, 4 the last one.. leave Monday.

if that helps at all..

9. jfocallag

Thanks Frank. I did see your route earlier. I am going the northern route to add MT, ND and MN to my map. I figure about 400 miles per day and 5 days.

10. Frank, I see that you have a night planned in Casper and going through Nebraska. Just crossing into Nebraska, on Route 20 from Wyoming, is a town called Harrison. Small town but very nice city park with 2 electric/water sites that are free camping. Nice facilities, large restrooms, and Shelter house, but no shower unless the swimming pool is open. We stayed there one night on the way to IRG.

11. fpoole

Ok, kewl... I just might make there. I'll keep it in mind but I don't want to get somewhere and then "Not Find" a site.. I'll check it out now that Summer is over, well in a couple of weeks that is, it might have some opening.

Thanks J&T for the heads up.. I also had a friend I lost contact with in Casper, might waste some time trying to find him..heheh.. shouldn't be hard to talk to the 100 people there..
    Thanks again..

12. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Joan,

When you get to North Dakota, if you have time do the 30 mile loop at the Teddy Roosevelt NP. It is wonderful!

13. jfocallag

Evan, my plan is to stay at Teddy Roosevelt NP. I will definetly do the loop.

14. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

The Loop was great. We only got half way around because we ran into a herd of bufs that would not let us through and we had reservations for the pitch fork fondu, good but they wouldn't let me hold the pitchfork! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't recommend the drive from there through the oil fields. Lots and lots of big trucks. I got my first windshield crack there.

15. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

No moose?

Sue

16. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Sue,

Go to Grand Teton and camp at Gros Ventre campground. This year several mothers and the young were camped right along side us. They have Moose. I have seen them with my own 2 eyes. They still exist!

17. Jim and Sue L.

Waaaahhh!!!! Jim is taking me through Rocky Mountain Park and Estes, ridge-running in Kentucky and all over the Virginias, Maryland, etc., but NO Grand Teton this year.

Swear to Heaven I'm gonna tie some antlers on a squirrel pretty soon and call it SMOOSIRREL if I have to!

moosemoosemoosemoosemoose..........

Camp On,

Sue

18. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I know how you feel. Way back in 1994, as we were just entering Yellowstone, there was a fabulous moose with a great rack JUST off the road. There were a bunch of cars pulled over, with people all over. I thought, 'this place must be full of meese, I'll just wait 'til there's not such a big crowd one of these times before stopping to get pictures.'

That was the last moose we saw.

19. fpoole

Yah, Yellowstone, went there back in Feb?, snow, we saw one Moose the the guide was amazed... been there for 20+ years and hasn't seen one, so not common at all apparently... no rack, female?? a Moose-Ette??

Buffs, after the first 2 or 3 herds, they become a PITA... the guide, in our snow cat, advise and did, the only way to get through them is to go away from their direction of travel but to keep moving 1-2mph or so. If you stop, you're dead until they decide to move.

We had one, Big Ole Buff, just standing in front of us and wouldn't move... got to about 6" and he jumped to get out of the way.. Much like a game of Chicken... only this time the Cat was bigger than he was.. probably not used to that.. heheh funny...

20. Jim and Sue L.

Seen lots of Buffalo; wild, shaggy survivors from the last Ice Age. Fantastic creatures, but I have to say the ones in Yellowstone are absolutely HEEEUUUGE! A small heard decided to meander across the road just as we were driving by and this one old male stood next to my window and stared at me. I had to look way up to meet his eye. A thrilling moment. Wonder what it will be like to meet a moose...if ever.

Maybe next year on our run through Canada-eh?

Camp On,

Sue

moosemoosemoosemoose......