Tire Replacement?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bruce O, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

And, where one of us doesn' know...surely some one else does.

I have a little time left on my trailer tires....I get to deal with 2 SUV's that need shoes first. Oy! Have those gotten spendy!!!! Does goodear make those here, or overseas? I really wish I could get a good American made tires. Going to the shop, all I see are names that sound like they came off amazon...hookan, blauzup....I miss when your choices were BF Goodrich, Firestone, Cooper, and Goodyear....

2. Bruce: Over the 14 year history of the forum, there probably hasn't been one aspect of the trailer that hasn't been pulled apart, upgraded, fixed, parsed, commented upon, debated or mused about. Sometimes, multiple times.

When we, the end users, get it wrong, or need a little help (and there are many knowledgeable and technically proficient trailer users here) Cary at Camp-Inn frequently sets us straight, or offers some guidance. Many non-Camp-Inn owners also end up here looking for general tiny trailer information, and find it.

Enjoy the new-to-you trailer. At least now you have a good rolling base for it.

But do take Sweeney's sage advice and do a bearing/brake inspection/re-pack before the new rubber goes on. It's in the manual. If those were the original tires with decent tread, then maybe the trailer doesn't have significant miles on it, and the original bearings could still be OK. But it is still worth the effort with a trailer of that vintage to rip the hubs apart. Even without significant mileage, seal shrinkage and moisture infiltration could have taken place. A tire wobble test and a hand placed on the cap (to test warmth after hauling it a distance) can only tell you so much about the bearings' condition.

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I got this out of my 'delivery' inspection. This tip alone made the hours we spent with Cary worth it.

At every Nightly stop, fuel stop, and when I get home...I do this. This safety check takes no more than 30 seconds.

Each wheel gets touched, lightly are to see if they are warm. So far, every time, they are cool to the touch. If it is hot, I know my bearings are having some problem, or the brakes are dragging.

Second, I will grab the top of each tire and push/pull it with some vigor. Rock it --- push in/out and side/side. If the bearings are too loose you'll hear it. There should be a light 'thump'

I used to check tire pressure as well, but recently added a tire pressure monitor. I found one for dually trucks. 6 valve stem caps. 4 on the jeep, 2 on the camper. An excellent safety feature. It has saved me at least once from a problem, and suggest these now to anyone who asks....

4. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

Yes - great ideas.

I like the sound of the tire pressure monitor gadget. I'm onboard with keeping safe. I will do a detailed inspection before my next adventure next weekend.

While on the road I always do a walk-around every time I stop to make sure everything looks good.

Note: I did have the camper serviced at CI, (Necedah WI) in 2020. I had brakes added to the trailer and with the installation of the brakes I got new hubs and bearings. But it's always good to have a look!

Kevin S and Van_and_Terri like this.
  5. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Mine was a used for sale, coincidentally at the Nest for some work, inc new axle, brakes, wheels. After two years and 15,000 miles I thought I might sneak in a trip but found some grinding/hot bearing, had to replace bearings. My guess just one of those prior trips was exceptionally hot, long hours on hot roads...maybe some winter puddles and ice spray
    or from driving through tropical downpours washed out the right bearing first as thats the low side of the road with more puddles.

Should have done a proactive grease job at 10,000 miles I think is the general guideline...
    RTFM much, Kev? ;)

Truth is I'd been putting it off doing it myself as something I was nervous about doing it right...dont be.
    Taking a wheel off to put a spare on is halfway there and if you havent done that before, lately you dont want to be doing it first time in the freezing rain, at dusk, on a blind curve on county road in way-behind-bum-fvck WY...ask me how I know.

First time is messy and I learned a lot, second one easy-peasy, including replacing bearings you just need couple of basic tools, now I can do on the side of the road with those couple key bits in my kit.

Some good threads here and read owners manual.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  6. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Nokian makes THE best winter tires, and some new AT shoes that are really good for SUVs with AWD who want year round traction in gravel, dirt, snow. Kevlar in the tread AND side walls with a one year warranty for road debris puncture damage. Nice upgrade from the BFG KO2 or Falken Wildpeaks, per a review of the jeep and subie forums awhile back.
    Heres a hit in the Maverickforum for the AWD trucklets looking for more traction than OEM.

Nokian Outpost AT -- Possible contender for best suited All Terrain Tire A/T for the Ford Maverick

New factory is in Dayton, TN
    Nokian Tyres’ new factory in United States supports company’s strategic growth plan / Nokian Tyres

Nokian makes big tires for commercial, industrial and military too. I read they had to redirect/relocate some of that type production from Russia to elsewhere after they invaded Ukraine.

You can get them at Wallyworld or special order from any Discount Tire. Pretty happy with mine- far lower highway noise than typical All Terrain treads, good performance in curves, not as big a mpg hit as more aggressive tread designs due to Nokian's mix of surfaces on tire.

BTW the APT is even better if you can get in wheel size and lug pattern.
    Nokian Tyres Revamps All-Terrain Lineup with Outpost AT and APT

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    Ken & Peggy and dustinp like this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

And a check, even at stops, is not a bad idea.

Back when I was driving a 'big boy' with a black tank, some sick @#$ pulled my black tank blade valve, then closed it again. Either at the campground or at a rest stop. When I pulled the cap off to attach the stinky slink at my night stop...a very nice RV park, I subject my neighbors...and me...to much unpleasantness. Fortunately, they took pitty on me and did not charge the "cleanup fee" for spills. I know it was a human "being funny" --- the blade valve never leaked before, or after that event.

The moral of the sotyr is, If they will do that, then its safe to assume they will do something else. Light, chain, and parking brake checks after every stop are now protocol as well.

People are idiots....

Bruce O, Van_and_Terri and Kevin S like this.