#1118 Home Sweet Home

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Torrey Sweetser, Mar 31, 2024.

1. #1118 has fledged. Picked up our 560 on 3/29 and traveled a whopping 43 miles to do our first overnight at Mirror Lake SP before continuing homeward to Evansville Indiana.

Spent much of the day Sunday 3/31 migrating gear from our T@G into their new locations, and thinning the stock some too. looking forward to our next getaway.

Attached Files:

Jenn, dougbee, Kevin S and 5 others like this.
  2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Enjoy!

Torrey Sweetser likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Welcome to the club! You're going to love it! You're right in my backyard :)

I'm sure you know all the parks done there --- Harmonie State Park is one of maybe 2 or 3 places we haven't stayed....yet. Maybe this summer.

Are you familiar with the Hoosier Tearjerkers? You a member and perhaps we've met already? I'm sure you know Verna...

Torrey Sweetser and Jenn like this.

4. Only recently became familiar with the Tearjerkers, we will have to catch-up. We previously had a T@G and camped over at German Ridge a number of times, and at Harmonie SP, we prefer hiking at HSP as it is too crowded for our taste, even off season.

Got it registered today and chomping at the bit to get out in it.

Kevin S likes this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

You probably known Verna then. Shes a brand ambassador for T@G under the nucamp name. Shes a camping friend of mine.

German Ridge - I'm not sure where that is Which park is it? I think Harmonie will be next week -- I've never been there, we planned to go last summer but life happened and it kept us home. It looks likes a unique place. Much in the town itself worth seeing? I really am not interested in the cult that was there...

Sadly most of the Indiana parks are crowded these days. Brown and Potato Creek are the two I have most reason to frequent, and both are nearly 100% booked months in advance. I'm interested in boondocking a bit more, that will open options. But this fat kid needs his air conditioning, and power stations are just too heavy and not up to the challenge of 8 hours of AC yet, then being charged by the next night....

Torrey Sweetser and Kevin S like this.
  6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Welcome to the family.

7. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Cheers! Welcome!

Looking forward to trip reviews and pics if you do that sort of thing.

Also your impressions of right-sizing from the T@b, etc.

8. So far the Ultra 560 has more intelligent storage. Our T@G 5wide may have had more interior space volumetrically but the storage and space use was Schizhen.

We went 6 weeks continuously in summer of 2020 and I am looking forward to doing similar with this new camper. Kitchen is going to be my biggest test + new sleeping arrangements for the walking carpets.

Kevin S likes this.
  9. German Ridge is in Hoosier NF, it is quiet, even when the Amish kids stay with their horses. (Several sites and trails dedicated to horses). First come sites. Hoosier NF has quite a few nice campgrounds, if you are wanting to practice your Boondocking (dry camping) then this is the place, you need to bring your own water, water there is listed as not for drinking, new clean vault toilets, no electric.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hoosier/recreation/camping-cabins

We have also camped at Hardin Ridge near Bloomington, this is more similar to Brown County SP campground experience. Flushies, showers, electric.

New Harmony is a neat town, they have recurring events on Second Saturdays. Good food and slow pace mooching around the town, gardens etc. Murphy park inside New Harmony may still have camping, vault toilets only. Harmonie SP is lovely but way to crowded and busy for our camping interests, we were there Sunday taking the dogs for a short hike and to bird watch, only 45min from our home.

We like our AC too but north is where we head unless we are winter camping.

Kevin S likes this.
  10. Thank you!

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

If you have spent six weeks in a T@G, you already know how to maximize space. I just did a reset after getting back from a trip, and found out where all I my jeans went...that front cubby can hold a LOT.

12. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Love the insight on the T@G, and at first I read that as Schengen...(wait, "border controls?"err ...rabbit hole, averted...)
    Love to hear more as you go!
    We who are stuck at home temprarily live vicariously thru those who are camping and sharing here.

Whats interesting to me is how many CI's are out there but how few actively post, here.

Lots of lurkers or just keeping it simple going back to nature, offline, is my guess.

Edit: yes, dogs in CI's...thats worth a new thread!
    Our new CI accesory is a little black velcro dog that is happy to steal my spot, blanket, pillow, etc...grr...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  13. Oh, we are minimalists, 2016 saw us coast to coast to coast (3 adults and camping kit doing college tours) and 2022 we (2 adults plus 2 not small dogs) tent camped for 2-1/2 weeks out of our MINI Cooper. My mantra “everything has a place and every place has its thing…put it back where you found it and no-one gets hurt” .

Attached Files:

Kevin S, dustinp and Jenn like this.
  14. Hey Kevin, Spent a week at Little Missouri SP north of Killdeer - my favorite remote office with the exception of the noise from the flares at the derricks. Great camping too!

Kevin S likes this.
  15. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks, Torrey! Bookmarked...never been there but love that "breaks" type country. Remember that movie with Brando?
    The Missouri Breaks - Wikipedia
    You might like this, recommended by a game warden when "hunting*" whitetail a couple years ago in similar country.
    Bowman Haley Lake, North Dakota - Recreation.gov

Also good For anyone passing thru western ND say to Theodore Roosevelt NP from say Deadwood, SD.
    And
    Take a short jog up this route:
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/enchanted-highway
    Or wiggle your way to the end of the road to Lemmon Lakes and check out Hugh Glass memorial.
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/hugh-glass-monument

My hunting: going for a walk with a rifle...

Last edited: May 1, 2024 at 5:51 PM
  16. Been to TRNP and did the enchanted highway. Couple of my friends are from Dickinson and had recommended these and Medora. Beautiful spaces! Need to make it back out that way sooner than later.

Attached Files:

Kevin S likes this.
  17. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

18. Kevin S likes this.