Mississippi Pot Roast

Discussion in 'Main Dishes' started by Sweeney, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

This is a slow cooker recipe, unless you've got serious cast iron skills, and a load of patience -- like 9 hours of temperature watching.

But, I've had it twice now and it was amazing both times.

I cooked mine in a Presto Nomad cooker, which is ideal for pitch ins, as it is easy to transport and even has a little dry erase marker board to write what is inside. I'm sure a crockpot or instant pot would work equally well.

Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 9-10 hours

1] Chuck Roast sizes to fit your cooker (3-5 pounds)
    2] 1 Packet of Au Jus (McCormicks)
    3] 1 Packet of Ranch Dressing
    4] 1/2 stick butter
    5] 2-4 Peperchini Peppers (optional)
    6] Potatoes and small bag of baby carrots

Put the roast in the slow cooker, topping it the Au Jus, Ranch dressing powder. Top with the butter, and papers. No additional liquid is needed.

Turn the crockpot to high and ignore it for 8 hours. Toss in the cubed potatoes and baby carrots and let them cook for approximately another hour. The quantity is flexible --- 2 spuds and a cup of carrots seems right.

When finished cooking, Point your finger angrily at the roast beef to shred it. Serve as you want...either by itself or on a bed of rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.

2. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Mmmm. Mouth watering and keto too!

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think next time I'll only use 1/2 or 3/4 packets...it was a little salty. A friend and I are camping this weekend, tomorrow night is new york strips...I may explore the local meat markets for a chuck roast tomorrow :)

Seriously...I went to the local IGA and EVERY label was facing straight forward yesterday. It kind of freaked me out a little....

4. Vince G

Vince G Novice

My wife uses onion soup mix instead ofwe au jus. It is less salty. Great receipe

Torrey Sweetser and Kevin S like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Thats a great idea....I like the 'beefiness' of the jus, but the salt is a little overpowering. Especially if you don't load it down with potatoes, which we don't...Have to try that. I'll be making it this week, its become a 'regular' in the Sweeney house...

Kevin S likes this.