Total Eclipse

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Ken & Peggy, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

No >NEED< but since when you have to have "need" to go camping?

Kevin S likes this.
  2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Ken & Peggy, Kevin S and dougbee like this.
  3. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

We opted to just get a hotel room with a pool for the kids since the eclipse is on a Monday. FYI if you're getting a hotel room book sooner rather than later lest the prices go nuts.

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Was looking at backroads
    Using lat/longs here
    What Is a Total Solar Eclipse?
    And plotting along the 100% line

Eagle Pass TX to east of Ozark, AR
    Crosses right east over Dallas

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    dustinp likes this.
  5. It passes directly over our Niagara/Buffalo area with 100% coverage (i.e. no eye protection required for those 2 minutes and 58 seconds). The entire Toronto area is left out of the loop, so we expect to see an influx of out-of-town peepers down here, looking up.

However, with the incessant cloud cover we’ve experienced the last 3 months, I’m not holding my breath for an unobstructed view on that day.

Tour 931 and Kevin S like this.
  6. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Somewhere in comments in the links above iirc someone pointed out the sudden drop in temperature as the shadow approaches

can cause clouds to form (when the ambient temp and dew point are very close...)

so looking at weather patterns at that time of year might be worth it, if you are serious about best chances.

I recall "lake effect" being the reason for so much winter snow in Buffalo to Watertown area...thats a different thing but you do have plenty of moisture in spring is the point...

If I can break free here I'm headed to driest part of Texas...

Hmmm: Kerrville; nope
    Kerrville April Weather, Average Temperature (Texas, United States) - Weather Spark

Hmmm; Eagle Pass; not much better...
    Eagle Pass April Weather, Average Temperature (Texas, United States) - Weather Spark

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Steve and Karen likes this.
  7. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

8. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Maybe make a bomb run in advance ...you'd wanna be up high, out of the hollers...

Attached Files:

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

3 campgrounds come to mind a great Indiana viewing cites.

• Brown County (big rig RV area is better)
    • Summit LIke near New
    • Lake Monroe SRA (Primitive camping area)

All 3 are in the path of totality, and should give a good view...IF you avoid the tree lined loops, or are willing to accommodate trees in your viewing pleasure.

Our local police are already warning us to expect traffic jams, and gapers simply stopped on the side of the roads. I'm lucky my house is in the path, and I think I'll enjoy it right from here though perhaps not for the full time as we are not smack in the middle.

Kevin S and dustinp like this.
  10. Turnip936

Turnip936 Newbie

My suggestion is to plan carefully, including backup plans to account for weather and whatever unusual traffic decisions are made (e.g. routes perpendicular to the eclipse path may have some lanes reversed to accommodate the throng).

When the last Great American Eclipse crossed the US (August 2017), we started the day in Charleston SC, because it is a wonderful vacation spot on its own, in case we were clouded out -- and indeed it was touch and go with respect to clouds in the morning, so we packed up the car (we didn't have our CI then) and drove inland on I-26 towards Columbia, where the weather looked much more favorable, and found a small town (St Matthews) with the benefits of suitable backroad options towards home. The drive along I-26 was eerie -- very little traffic, as I-26 was parallel to the path of totality, but with multiple police cars stationed at every exit.

I learned later that friends who viewed it from Columbia were lucky -- there were clouds all day but they parted in time for the critical moment.

The buildup to the moment of totality is not to be wasted -- best to be safely parked and enjoying the experience with others.

Kevin S likes this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yeah, the weather is definitely a critical piece of the puzzle. Here in Indiana --- late April and early May is one of the most beautiful parts of the year. April though...is a fickle month. I've seen white-out snow storms that first week.

I'd be tempted to chase it, but also know so are thousands of others....I think I can answer the question about 3 days before it happens.

Kevin S likes this.